Avg Duck Eggs vs. Calls - Hatching differences

robbyvg

Chirping
Sep 3, 2021
Middle TN
Hatching Blue Swedes soon (6-7 viable) at 21 days in incubator. Call duck eggs are arriving tomorrow. I have done as much research that I can on the differences between hatching Call Duck eggs vs. Mallard-type duck eggs. Still, I would love more information on Call duck hatching (esp. vs. mallard/cayuga type).

I have heard from some sources that Call Duck eggs may take 26 days on average instead of 28.

I have all day long to tend to these beautiful eggs and ducklings (disabled retired veteran) and it is my joy. The best hatch rates would obviously be awesome though I know Calls are different and can be more difficult to hatch.

I'm ready, let's go!

Hatching Blue Swedes soon (6-7 viable) at 21 days in incubator. Call duck eggs are arriving tomorrow. I have done as much research that I can on the differences between hatching Call Duck eggs vs. Mallard-type duck eggs. Still, I would love more information on Call duck hatching (esp. vs. mallard/cayuga type).

I have heard from some sources that Call Duck eggs may take 26 days on average instead of 28.

I have all day long to tend to these beautiful eggs and ducklings (disabled retired veteran) and it is my joy. The best hatch rates would obviously be awesome though I know Calls are different and can be more difficult to hatch.

I'm ready, let's go!
Call ducks are a mallard type. A number of my Calls look exactly like tiny mallards. Yes, the incubation period for Call ducks is 26 days. One of my mallards is laying out of season, now. I put four eggs in the incubator to check fertility; the eggs are viable, so I set another eight eggs under a bantam. The drake is a call duck. One of my blue calls is laying now too. I'm looking forward to ducklings soon.

I have no problems hatching their eggs. There is a chance that shipped eggs will need assistance.

I read just today of someone warning about the duckling's short bill not being able to pip. This has not been my experience.

My advice to you is be prepared to do assisted hatches with shipped eggs; of any kind. Often, the air cells are saddled or the duckling is malpositioned. Good luck!

Call ducks are a mallard type. A number of my Calls look exactly like tiny mallards. Yes, the incubation period for Call ducks is 26 days. One of my mallards is laying out of season, now. I put four eggs in the incubator to check fertility; the eggs are viable, so I set another eight eggs under a bantam. The drake is a call duck. One of my blue calls is laying now too. I'm looking forward to ducklings soon.

I have no problems hatching their eggs. There is a chance that shipped eggs will need assistance.

I read just today of someone warning about the duckling's short bill not being able to pip. This has not been my experience.

My advice to you is be prepared to do assisted hatches with shipped eggs; of any kind. Often, the air cells are saddled or the duckling is malpositioned. Good luck!

Thank you very much! This is substantive and wise and I will use it!I have just fallen in love with ducks this year and have learned much but much yet to learn.

I am a 37 year-old disabled veteran and a lot of my day is dedicated to turning eggs, researching ducks (a lot on BYC), making pond improvements trying to devise better coop security, etc. If I have the information I can hatch almost any egg you send me! And more important - know how to care for it from day 1.

I received the Call Duck Eggs yesterday (8) and put them in my cheap but so-far trusted incubator. At the same time I am 2 days to lockdown on my 7 Blue Swedish Duck Eggs (started with 9).

A lot is going on and I am also going through a divorce so alongside doggies, ducks have become a therpeutic and wonderful companion. They are truly amazing.

Attachments

• CallDuckEggs.jpg
    CallDuckEggs.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 5
  • BlueSwedishEggs.jpg
    BlueSwedishEggs.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 5
Good Morning,

Thank you very much! This is substantive and wise and I will use it!I have just fallen in love with ducks this year and have learned much but much yet to learn.

I am a 37 year-old disabled veteran and a lot of my day is dedicated to turning eggs, researching ducks (a lot on BYC), making pond improvements trying to devise better coop security, etc. If I have the information I can hatch almost any egg you send me! And more important - know how to care for it from day 1.

I received the Call Duck Eggs yesterday (8) and put them in my cheap but so-far trusted incubator. At the same time I am 2 days to lockdown on my 7 Blue Swedish Duck Eggs (started with 9).

A lot is going on and I am also going through a divorce so alongside doggies, ducks have become a therpeutic and wonderful companion. They are truly amazing.

I'm a retired 68 year old school teacher. I've raised many species of bird, starting as a teenager. My flock, at the moment, consists of Call, Mallard, and Muscovy ducks, Phoenix and Serama bantams, Mini Turkeys, and Peafowl. I also raise Cortunix quail, Pigeons, and small dogs.

My incubator is also a cheap one, but it's also the best one I've used over the years. Expensive does not mean reliable.

Candling this morning shows all four duck eggs in the 'bator developing. A surprise in that one is a double yolker; double yolkers rarely hatch.

It's still a long way from hatching and I rather think it won't make it. Still, it's interesting to see how long the "twins" survive.

Have a great day and the best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom