Avian Flu (H5N1) - Discussion

Have your birds been affected by the Avian Flu?

• Total voters
Pics
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office
Food What GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Popcorn is for Scratch. Not a fan.

...and if I wanted a stream of low information opinions, I'd be watching a Facebook feed, or hanging out on Twitter.

Have done what I can here, I'm stepping off. If my opinion is desired, @ me. Otherwise, I've more valuable things to do today. Like throwing rocks in trenches to keep my rabbits from digging out. AGAIN.

Popcorn is for Scratch. Not a fan.

...and if I wanted a stream of low information opinions, I'd be watching a Facebook feed, or hanging out on Twitter.

Have done what I can here, I'm stepping off. If my opinion is desired, @ me. Otherwise, I've more valuable things to do today. Like throwing rocks in trenches to keep my rabbits from digging out. AGAIN.
I honestly can't stand popcorn either. Unfortunately the snack options are limited around here. 🤷‍♀️

I am giving my hens oregano tea every day to boost their immune system.

Oregano – is the clear favorite for a healthful boost. It boosts the immune system and helps guard against certain infections such as salmonella, infectious bronchitis, avian influenza, and E. coli.

• Ginger – is another anti-infective, anti-viral herb that boosts the immune system.
  • Dandelions – contain vitamins A, B, C, E, and K and numerous trace elements such as calcium and manganese. It is said to aid digestion; it is an antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory pain reliever.
  • Garlic is a powerful aid to the immune system. It is also antimicrobial, repels parasites, and is said to deter intestinal worms while stimulating the immune system.

If someone is interested, and has high speed dta (I'm on cell phone, and throttled by my data plan), here's an article from the H5N2 outbreak in 2015 which hit turkeys pretty hard in MN. There seems to be enough detail on locations to find some of these farms on Google Maps and look to see if the birds are being raised in enclosed buildings, pole barns, or something else...

https://www.crowrivermedia.com/inde...cle_28853d87-2755-5c4c-a251-24b23bf89123.html

I don't have the time or the resources to devote right now.

/edit and this 2015 example gives us some hints about turkeys today - sure, they didn't know then (and I've not seen an answer since), but it appears that area of the State has a large number of geographically close facilities under common ownership. Not only due they have the potential of wind born contamination (as they speculated then), but there is also the potential that its being carried from farm to farm by company vehicles, much as it was in California during the Newcastle outbreak before last. In essence, not only are the birds concentrated in farms (all your eggs in one basket, as it were), bt the farms are all concetrated in one place as well (all your baskets on one wobbly table).
This is great information. Thanks. I really appreciate it. I love the science of why. I would never stand to assume the most logical answer is always correct and this kind of documentation is my jam. I don't keep turkeys, I keep chickens, but I feel like it is in my best interest to have some understanding of how this virus interacts with all birds, not just the birds I have.

How has the Avian Flu effected your flock?
If any of your birds have been infected, how did you overcome this and make sure it didn’t spread to the other birds? Treatment methods?

My flock has not yet been infected, thank God.

Some things I found interesting.
Opinions?

Thank you for the tag. I am in CA and still VERY fortunate. I no longer feed wild birds and/or lure them to the property. As for anything else, it’s basically the same as it’s always been. Sending prayers to those in the danger zone and giving lots of love to those who have lost birds to AI. Love all the great info being shared.
I am not in a panic, or worried in the slightest bit. My flock is happy and healthy. I believe the "bird flu" is being made into a big deal that it really isn't. There are hundreds if sicknesses that any chicken could catch. To put it simply, they are kind of twisting it around....just like Covid.
Until you lose one to COVID or AI, it doesn’t affect you, that’s true. I’m not sure why people go around saying COVID or AI is “fake” though. Just because it doesn’t affect you doesn’t mean it’s insignificant. Not asking you to have empathy though. It takes a lot to understand other people’s struggles and these are just my thoughts on the subject.

Wow. This thread went a direction I didn't expect it to go.

I don't think it's gotten to vND levels yet, but here's some info on HPAI "response zones" according to Minnesota:
https://www.bah.state.mn.us/hpai/#response-zones

It doesn't sound nearly as dire as the vND outbreak in SoCal, thankfully.

I'm unsure how to define "vND" levels so a head to head comparison can be made. AI has already had a greater effect in terms of states on geographic lockdown, its already had a greater effect on the US food supply, and it has already resulted in more birds killed. Around 1.2M birds culled in CA for vND. The current HPAI has some 37M birds affected according to this. The 2014-15 outbreak was 50M, I storngly suspect we will easily surpass that number.

I'm unsure how to define "vND" levels so a head to head comparison can be made. AI has already had a greater effect in terms of states on geographic lockdown, its already had a greater effect on the US food supply, and it has already resulted in more birds killed. Around 1.2M birds culled in CA for vND. The current HPAI has some 37M birds affected according to this. The 2014-15 outbreak was 50M, I storngly suspect we will easily surpass that number.
I meant that it hasn't gotten to the point where they are performing mandatory euthanasia on any birds in the "hot zones." Most places seem to require quarantine and testing within a certain radius, but not euthanasia. That was my point.

Back
Top Bottom