Avian Flu (H5N1) - Discussion

Have your birds been affected by the Avian Flu?

• Total voters
Pics
In light of that, what are your plans going forward?
Birds are penned up. They're so angry about it. The run is big, they have plenty room and stuff to play with, but to them it's torment because they know how cool grass and dirt is. Frankly, I live in a wetland, there's so much water around my property (but not within the fenceline) and so many migrating waterfowl that I can't see any other option. All my bird feeders are down. I chase wild birds from my yard if I see them. It feels wrong and terrible because I love my wild visitors, but I love my precious hens more. :(

As for locking the discussion, without having delved into the comments there's no way for me to say if there was a legitimate reason for the mod team to put the kibosh on further replies. It could have been a poo slinging festival. The people that think this is a hoax or an elaborate ploy by the government intensely believe they are correct, and they're not kind about it.

I'd say there's a difference from being blunt and straight up rude. I could bring an example of rudeness from this thread, but that would be off topic.

Yes, when I desire to respond with rudeness, I try to be rude with style. Not always successfully, sadly. Still, a more informative read than a dive straight to name calling and muck slinging. A small concession to my adoring public.

:lau

Wow. I came on this thread to see if there was any good information about the bird flu, and while a couple of people have posted some helpful stuff, the majority of it has been arguing. Why, people, why? This avian influenza is real. There's a suspected case not half an hour away from where I live, and Washington has just had its first confirmed case.

Anyway, what I wanted to ask is: Do small, wild birds pose a big threat to my flock? Only sparrows can get into the run. And, hypothetically, could you treat avian flu, or is the mortality rate so high it's counterproductive? Also, I've heard that it's mainly waterfowl spreading the flu. Is this true, or is landfowl just as much to blame?

Washington has just had its first confirmed case.
You mean second?
Do small, wild birds pose a big threat to my flock
Some say yes.
hypothetically, could you treat avian flu
Some say yes.
or is the mortality rate so high it's counterproductive?
Some say yes.
is landfowl just as much to blame
Some say yes.

Back
Top Bottom