Avian Flu in the news?

indianaducks

Songster
Feb 4, 2021
I've only had my ducks for about a year now. Saw snippets of news about avian flu in the US now? Do I need to be concerned? I'm in Indiana.

Had thought about ordering ducklings (don't need them, just wanted them) but now am thinking maybe just keep the birds I have and don't add more for a while until we see how this plays out?

Hi there, here's a helpful factsheet I found on avian flu aimed at backyard poultry owners that includes preventative measures and other info: https://extension.umn.edu/poultry-health/avian-influenza-basics-urban-and-backyard-poultry-owners

I haven't owned chickens long enough to have dealt with an avian flu outbreak in my area, but the current outbreak is pretty far from you. If this current outbreak gets closer to me, my plan is to keep my flock in a run that is completely covered to minimize the possibility of exposure.

Would adding ducklings from a hatchery or feed store to my existing flock be a bad idea or am I overly worried/concerned?

Would adding ducklings from a hatchery or feed store to my existing flock be a bad idea or am I overly worried/concerned?
If it were me, I would probably just go ahead and add more ducklings. Birds from a legitimate large-scale hatchery aren't being exposed to wild birds and I consider the risk of infecting your flock to be very small, especially if the hatchery isn't located near the current outbreak.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on this; I'm just stating what I would do and why given the current situation. Best of luck with your flock!

If it were me, I would probably just go ahead and add more ducklings. Birds from a legitimate large-scale hatchery aren't being exposed to wild birds and I consider the risk of infecting your flock to be very small, especially if the hatchery isn't located near the current outbreak.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on this; I'm just stating what I would do and why given the current situation. Best of luck with your flock!

Another option is to wait until my flock starts laying again (damn winter and lack of daylight) and then incubate eggs from them. Then I’m not bringing in ducklings from an outside source. I may be over thinking all this haha. Just don’t like risking illness with my animals

I did an online training on avian flu in backyard duck flocks 3 weeks ago. it was really interesting and I learnt a lot. It was produced by an Agricultural Extension department but I cannot for the life of me recall where I found it and which state. Plus it was on my old computer and I am now using my new computer so I can't even find it through my web browser searches.

My take homes were:
(1) migratory birds -- particularly waterfowl -- carry the infection but often do not show symptoms
(2) local songbirds get infected, also without symptoms
(3) duck poop [and chicken poop] from infected fowl is incredibly infectious and is spread on shoes, shared equipment such as pet carrier, car tires etc.
(4) when there is avian flu in the USA and particularly if it is near where we are keeping back yard ducks, we have to keep our ducks from contact with wild birds. That's a problem for those of us with ponds that migratory ducks or geese drop in on; and keeping our ducks away from wild songbirds is also very difficult if we free range our ducks.
(5) symptoms sneezing running eyes and nares, loss of appetite, diarrhea: domestic ducks can sicken and die in as little as 4 days
(6) if there is a bird flu epidemic, we have to report sick birds to our state [I think but am not sure it is to the Department of Agriculture]

indianaducks asked about buying ducks from a hatchery. I don't think we can assume that ducks in hatcheries are not exposed because it was infected small birds like sparrows getting into commercial poultry coops that fueled the last big epidemic in many parts of the country. However, I think we can be certain that if there is an epidemic, hatcheries will be stopped by State and even Federal Departments of Agriculture from distributing ducklings if there is a risk of transmitting avian flu

I will try and find information on the training I did on my old computer and share it here if I find it.

I did an online training on avian flu in backyard duck flocks 3 weeks ago. it was really interesting and I learnt a lot. It was produced by an Agricultural Extension department but I cannot for the life of me recall where I found it and which state. Plus it was on my old computer and I am now using my new computer so I can't even find it through my web browser searches.

My take homes were:
(1) migratory birds -- particularly waterfowl -- carry the infection but often do not show symptoms
(3) duck poop [and chicken poop] from infected fowl is incredibly infectious and is spread on shoes, shared equipment such as pet carrier, car tires etc.
(4) when there is avian flu in the USA and particularly if it is near where we are keeping back yard ducks, we have to keep our ducks from contact with wild birds. That's a problem for those of us with ponds that migratory ducks or geese drop in on; and keeping our ducks away from wild songbirds is also very difficult if we free range our ducks.
(5) symptoms sneezing running eyes and nares, loss of appetite, diarrhea: domestic ducks can sicken and die in as little as 4 days
(6) if there is a bird flu epidemic, we have to report sick birds to our state [I think but am not sure it is to the Department of Agriculture]

indianaducks asked about buying ducks from a hatchery. I don't think we can assume that ducks in hatcheries are not exposed because it was infected small birds like sparrows getting into commercial poultry coops that fueled the last big epidemic in many parts of the country. However, I think we can be certain that if there is an epidemic, hatcheries will be stopped by State and even Federal Departments of Agriculture from distributing ducklings if there is a risk of transmitting avian flu

I will try and find information on the training I did on my old computer and share it here if I find it.

Thanks, no pond here. Will just keep an eye on the news and such and go from there. I don't *need* more ducklings LOL. I just wanted to get more, because... duck math.

My take homes were:

Thanks for this information! I did an online training last year, but I would love more up to date information!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/avian-influenza-webinar.1447089/

Thanks for this information! I did an online training last year, but I would love more up to date information!

I have searched everywhere on my bowser and did not find the course I did. Now I know why as it was through your backyard chickens link!!! Thank you for sharing it! AND reposting hte link here. I thoroughly recommend this course to all back yard duck keepers!

This is a link to another course on Avian 'Flu I found. It is more formal; takes about 1.5 hours but doesn't have to be in one sitting. It has "quizzes" and "tests", and contains a lot of reading material rather than a video
https://campus.extension.org/mod/book/view.php?id=56588

Back
Top Bottom