Avian Flu.

I don't believe everything I hear or read and can usually filter through a lot of propaganda, ignorance and BS, In saying that, I would rather bank on the side of awareness and caution to what might be, rather than to ignore that which might be a fools warning.

Is the fool the one who does or does not believe in possibility and potential?

I don't believe everything I hear or read and can usually filter through a lot of propaganda, ignorance and BS, In saying that, I would rather bank on the side of awareness and caution to what might be, rather than to ignore that which might be a fools warning.

Is the fool the one who does or does not believe in possibility and potential?
If a chicken keeper is managing the flocks properly, nothing changes during an outbreak of whatever it is at the time. You just keep doing what you're doing, practicing biosecurity, etc. I take every single word from government sources with a grain of salt, though, and I do believe the agenda is to discourage backyard flocks.

We see it in the different messages from depression times from Uncle Sam and now-back then, they encouraged everyone to keep a flock of chickens and put away food storage. Now, if you have more than a certain amount of food put away, and it's a ridiculously small amount, you are called a hoarder and are looked at like the Unabomber. So, there is a different vibe now, the world is upside down.

I'm not making it easy on them. Got my incubators cranked wide open

Folks can't stop living. They always should be cautious, no matter what is floating around, but we don't want heritage and rare breeds to just die off because the government only supports commercial industry and not the little guy.

On a poultry swap Facebook page we are in to sell our hatching eggs and extra chicks, it's obvious that people don't understand the "ban". Someone thought it meant they could not have more than a certain number of birds in their backyard flock, no idea where they got that. And others are passing it around that ALL sales of ANYTHING chicken must stop until the gov't tells them to continue, even though the GA memo says no such thing. All it says are that places that birds gather together like swaps, flea markets and auctions have to be suspended for the time being. Says nothing about individual sales or hatching eggs. I wish folks would just READ and quit calling to get them to tell them more restrictions. And if someone says, "hey, you can't do that!", you point them to the copy of the memo and say, "where does it say that?".

Mark my words, soon, you'll quit hearing anything about it and it will be business as usual again. I have some chicks that are almost 5 weeks old with broodies and when mama(s) let them go, they will be for sale.

Yes, I know. It is supposedly mandatory in North Carolina to register your flock, which is why I don't knowingly sell to NC anymore, though I live right on the line. If it was the law here, I'd be an outlaw. I feel it is my right to choose what type of food to put in my mouth, including eggs. I know the health of my flocks, what they've been fed and what they have not. I trust my own table eggs. The only way you can be 100% sure is to have your own laying hens.

Voluntary registration is really nuts, IMO. I'm not sure why ANYONE would voluntarily go blindly through the gate unless they just believe that somehow, some mysterious way, it will keep their flock safe. It won't. Some folks like to show their birds, so they are required to be NPIP or have a vet's certificate of health. It is supposedly required to be NPIP to mail birds/eggs across state lines, however, I would guess that most folks are not and do it anyway, as witnessed by the classifieds on here and on the Facebook poultry group threads. I used to mail hatching eggs years ago, but I don't do that now. I'm dangerously close to not ever selling my eggs again, keeping them all "in-house", chicks and eggs alike. It would be a shame because I have some very nice stock that is not readily available and would love to be able to provide folks with the same. But, if I can't, I can't. We'll be doing under-the-table black market hatching and/or eating eggs.

Back to the Avian Influenza, I am leery of any information on it. My flock is healthy. My flock is not in contact with the commercial operations around me. So, why kill my flock just because some big monoculture-type operation had a disease whoosh through it? It makes ZERO sense.

What do you mean you have to register your flock in NC. I've never heard of this and I've had chickens all my life and now I have them in the city limits. Also I'm fairly sure I can sell eggs with no restrictions as long as I don't exceed 30 dozen a week, which I never will. My city doesn't even have an ordinance on chickens other that you have to have written permission to let them free range on your neighbors property and you could be fined under the noise ordinance for excessive crowing. Nobody I know has ever registered there chickens. Ever. The chief of police lives across the street from me and so do city workers. All I have ever gotten is compliments and neighbors in my yard looking at my birds. Lol

What do you mean you have to register your flock in NC. I've never heard of this and I've had chickens all my life and now I have them in the city limits. Also I'm fairly sure I can sell eggs with no restrictions as long as I don't exceed 30 dozen a week, which I never will. My city doesn't even have an ordinance on chickens other that you have to have written permission to let them free range on your neighbors property and you could be fined under the noise ordinance for excessive crowing. Nobody I know has ever registered there chickens. Ever. The chief of police lives across the street from me and so do city workers. All I have ever gotten is compliments and neighbors in my yard looking at my birds. Lol
It's true. And here is the proof. I didn't just make that up.

https://pasquotank.ces.ncsu.edu/2015/08/nc-backyard-small-flock-registration/
http://www.ncagr.gov/ncfarmid/poultry.htm

http://www.inquisitr.com/2301762/av...th-carolina-law-requiring-registration-video/

So, now you know. Sort of takes some of the fun out of showing off your birds, doesn't it? If GA does that, they can just kiss my grits.

Quote:

Last edited:
Wow. I don't really see any point in that. They have asked and I will decline, seems pretty optional to me. I do believe if avian flu comes through the state it will show up somewhere else besides my birds. Thank you for showing me that though.

Wow. I don't really see any point in that. They have asked and I will decline, seems pretty optional to me. I do believe if avian flu comes through the state it will show up somewhere else besides my birds. Thank you for showing me that though.

Well, it says "requires" which is not optional. Now, they have no way to get the information out to everyone, apparently, but I've known about it for quite some time, though I found out about it accidentally. And how them knowing where your birds are is irrelevant to them reporting incidents of avian flu. The media latches hold of all that like a pitbull and reports it just fine so everyone would know anyway.

Back
Top Bottom