Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Geez. If there were 2610 birds in their backyard flock then it's no wonder they got sick. Or, maybe it's just have a REALLY big backyard.
I thought the same thing. What backyard chicken owner has 2610 chickens?

@3KillerBs -- sorry your flock is in lockdown. I've yet to confine my birds inside. They don't free range, but unfortunately, my yard is filled with migrating yellow crowned sparrows this time of year. They can easily fit through my fence and avian netting and it is clear they view my chicken yard with it's waterers and spilled food as a great layover spot. CDC's website says that songbirds and sparrows don't typically carry avian flu, so I'm taking comfort in that. If that changes, I need to re-think everything in my set up. Fingers crossed.

I'd hate to see the feed bill for 2610 chickens!

I saw that report a couple days ago in Wake Co. That's an hour and a half to my west. There was also an eagle in Carteret Co. last month. That is an hour to my east. It seems to be coming back through in full force all over the country and Canada. 😞

My birds do not free range and our run was partially roofed with metal. We added tarps to the rest in early spring so it's been completely covered for some time. No wild birds can get in.

I'll just watch for reports and decided what to do as things develop.

My birds do not free range and our run was partially roofed with metal. We added tarps to the rest in early spring so it's been completely covered for some time. No wild birds can get in.

Mine want badly to get out into the run, but the 19 of them have 256 square feet of coop/run combo to enjoy. They're just spoiled.

@3KillerBs
I've been putting leaves/straw in barrels undercover for a while. After it sits, I dump it in the run. They just got a bunch and are having a blast! Also got cabbage, collards, mustard and broccoli growing. They will get some of that, too.

Get some boredom busters lined up. Looks like it's going to be a long winter.

@3KillerBs
I've been putting leaves/straw in barrels undercover for a while. After it sits, I dump it in the run. They just got a bunch and are having a blast! Also got cabbage, collards, mustard and broccoli growing. They will get some of that, too.

Get some boredom busters lined up. Looks like it's going to be a long winter.

At need, I'll get them a couple bales of straw.

THINK~ VIRUS< VIRAL< FLU< what do you do for those things? add garlic to the water, apple cider vinegar, OXINE AH 3.5 oz to a gallon, colloidal silver, add turmeric, ginger, cayenne, bump up the immune system, ALL THINGS ANTI VIRAL, will help strengthen your birds~

WTH?
This is what I got when trying to view APHIS just a minute ago.
1667571049945.png

Wild birds page still showed as before.

Back
Top Bottom