Avian influenza found in South Carolina

They will use ventilation shutdown with another method in what they define as constrained circumstances but not alone as the only method of depopulation.

"When no other preferred or alternative methods can be implemented to meet the 24-48 depopulation goal, the AVMA Depopulation Guidelines permits Ventilation Shutdown Plus (+) in constrained circumstances. This policy is further elaborated in the HPAI Response: Ventilation Shutdown Plus (+) Policy, posted at www.aphis.usda.gov/fadprep. "

**See page 4 and appendix A https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/emergency_management/downloads/hpai/depopulationpolicy.pdf

Whew! You took a really deep dive down the rabbit hole to find all that @NanaK. Nice job.
I guess the bottom line is they can and will do whatever it takes to kill them as soon as they can.... whatever the means..

Considering the bird numbers involved, what's better? How do you humanely kill thousands, many thousands, quickly, safely, and in the most humane fashion? Any one who thinks this is something people want to be doing, just no.
It's a sad situation all around.
Sorry, rant over.
Mary

Last edited:
Any one who thinks this is something people want to be doing, just no.

Indeed.

People don't go into animal agriculture if they don't love animals. They're not out there trying to get a sick thrill from torture, they're trying to do a horrible job the best way they can in order to prevent a bad situation from getting worse. :(

People don't go into animal agriculture if they don't love animals. They're not out there trying to get a sick thrill from torture, they're trying to do a horrible job the best way they can in order to prevent a bad situation from getting worse.
I'm sure "depopulating" a flock is one of the worst parts of the job. People doctors/caregivers have some horrid parts to their jobs too. If they seem unfeeling about it, it's because they have to divorce themselves from that particular job in order to get it done.

If my flock contracted AI, I'm sure my first gut reaction would be to try to save any that I could. A "no, you're not taking my birds, they're my friends!" type of thing. But they would have to go, and I know that in my head.

But I would be an absolutely inconsolable basket case.

In reference to the article Weeg posted I stated this:
This is difficult for me to agree with:
“ventilation shutdown,” which means shutting off a facility’s ventilation system and slowly suffocating conscious birds to death

Because I agree with this:
Unfortunately, I didn't see anything in the article that said that would change. There literally was nothing in that article that indicated any better living or culling conditions for the existing flocks.

Has nothing to do with

Considering the bird numbers involved, what's better? How do you humanely kill thousands, many thousands, quickly, safely, and in the most humane fashion? Any one who thinks this is something people want to be doing, just no.
Or
People don't go into animal agriculture if they don't love animals. They're not out there trying to get a sick thrill from torture, they're trying to do a horrible job the best way they can in order to prevent a bad situation from getting worse.

I just have a hard time with this particular method. They have other ways they are using that limits exposure to the people involved and kills the birds faster. That's all. There are reasons they also increase heat and do ventilation shutdown. It has to do with how long it takes for death. If you notice it mentions the addition of high heat for a minimum of 3 hours. That makes me think they know death doesn't always happen quickly with ventilation shutdown alone.

That is not in my opinion humane.

I agree with the what they are trying to do. I also think what they are doing is not completely working to 'stamp out' AI. I pray they are also looking for better options to use in the future because it will come back around. No way it can't with it in wild populations.

But they would have to go, and I know that in my head.

But I would be an absolutely inconsolable basket case.

Yes, my birds would have to go, too. I'd also be a basket case from beginning to end and then some.

when I left my mother’s house this morning there was a dead mourning dove collapsed in the driveway 🤦‍♂️ anyone know how to/if I should report it? in Massachusetts.

when I left my mother’s house this morning there was a dead mourning dove collapsed in the driveway 🤦‍♂️ anyone know how to/if I should report it? in Massachusetts.

Here in NC, they only requested reports if there were groups of 5 or more wild birds found dead/sick. I'm not sure about Mass. but I would think the same.

Back
Top Bottom