Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Oh this is sad for them. They may issue a statement at some point. I would think there are chick orders that will not be fulfilled.

I asked the shipping/receiving lady of a local TS recently which hatchery they got chicks from. She told me Hoover's and Privett. So this could possible affect places like TS or other feed stores that use them (assuming it is Privett).

I called Privett today, the lady answering the phone claimed to know nothing and was going to refer my call to a manager.

Told them that there was a discussion about it here, and that they should strongly consider issuing a statement either confirming or denying. Suggested that, as an anonymous person on the internet, a manager saying something for me to later repeat here was likely in no one's interests. We'll see.

Here in the FL/GA/AL region, all the TSC chicks are seemingly from Hoovers. I suspect the closer you get to NM, the more likely they are to get the chicks from Privett or elsewhere.

NM news article

and this thread is already showing up in google searches of "Privett" and "Avian Influenza", where it previously only linked to copies of an AI study Privett provided some birds for, and an old policy paper on AI that listed numerous hatcheries.

Told them that there was a discussion about it here, and that they should strongly consider issuing a statement either confirming or denying.
Maybe they are consulting with their attorneys, insurance and USDA. Probably in shock too. I would think it was in their best interest to say something since they also sell to the public.

Here in the FL/GA/AL region, all the TSC chicks are seemingly from Hoovers. I suspect the closer you get to NM, the more likely they are to get the chicks from Privett or elsewhere.
I'm in eastern NC. She said they received chicks from Hoovers and Privett. At the time I didn't even know where Privett was. I was shocked they received chicks from so far away. TS is a large company, I guess???

Maybe they are consulting with their attorneys, insurance and USDA. Probably in shock too. I would think it was in their best interest to say something since they also sell to the public.

I'm in eastern NC. She said they received chicks from Hoovers and Privett. At the time I didn't even know where Privett was. I was shocked they received chicks from so far away. TS is a large company, I guess???
Yes, TSC is a large company. I'm surprised they don't source from Ideal in TX as well...

From this site
https://www.farmprogress.com/animal-health/what-s-going-on-with-bird-flu-

"Then, on April 3, a commercial flock of almost 2 million birds in Ionia County was confirmed positive at Herbruck’s Poultry Ranch, the largest poultry farm in the state.

"Six days later, another location of Herbrucks in that same county was also found positive with just over 2 million birds.

"Another commercial poultry operation has now tested positive for avian flu. The new location, confirmed April 16, is in West Michigan’s Newago County, housing 2,422,700 birds. While the disease has also spread to four dairy operations in Michigan, it is much more serious for the poultry industry, as all animals must be depopulated, and facilities completely sanitized before bringing in new birds. In total, 6,498,700 birds are affected by the outbreak."

Back
Top Bottom