Avian Influenza

hmurphy984

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2020
Hello,
So, for the first time I've had some of my flock test positive for Avian Influenza. I have them tested each year for this and salmonella pullorum and up until this year they have always been negative. The initial test was taken March 31st, and I got the results April 5. From there she came back out April 6 to re-bleed the 6 positive birds and take swabs. I've now heard back and have been told"
"The swab tells us if the birds are actively shedding the virus and are currently infected. This test came back negative. The blood test tells us if the birds have ever been exposed and have built up antibodies in their blood. This test came back positive for the H9N2 strain of avian influenza. This strain is consistent with that found in wild ducks in the region. As this is not a strain that is reportable to USDA nor does it have any trade implications as well as the birds came back negative on the swabs (again, which means they are not actively infected), the results of the test are considered to be negative."
I am trying to figure out what my next steps are at this point. She feels that the infection is a result of all my birds (chickens, ducks, and guineas) free ranging, and my ducks often go out to a pond where other wild ducks/geese sometimes are. This test is NOT a requirement for us in our state at least, I have been doing it for the sake of my children wanting to maybe someday "show" at a local fair and it would be a requirement for that. She has suggested keeping all birds penned up at this point, but at the very least the ducks. I don't feel this is a good solution for us for a couple reasons. Our birds are mostly all over the age of 2 and I don't think it would be fair to them to start keeping them penned up now, also I don't think I have the ability at the moment to be able to create something adequate for them to all be penned up. Even if I only did the ducks. I also have the chickens primarily for their tick eating because I have Lyme disease and we had a lot of ticks on our property before chickens. Now we hardly notice any. So, at the very least I want them wandering free range. I'm just not really sure what to do at this point and was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Thanks!

It sounds like your birds were sick without you knowing it. I wonder how many other flocks have had it?Are you worried about your other birds getting sick? Will it affect the showing you were planning on doing? I think the answer to your question will need to be based on goals and your preferences.

yeah just put the competition days out of your head and prioritize what will make the ducks happy. They've been exposed already and you didn't even notice so they'll be fine if they get it again I would have thought.

They test show birds for avian influenza? It may vary by state but here they only need to be tested for pullorum-typhoid to show, and since show birds travel all over I thought that applied to most all states.

Never shown any birds but have thought about it and am super paranoid about avoiding any/all avian influenza tests (or registries).

If a child will possibly want to show at some time in the future then it doesn’t sound like a definite thing. Prioritize your goals and work from there. We may all have our opinions about what we would do, but it’s your decision.

Back
Top Bottom