Aviary Advice

Tedster0219

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2020
I was wondering if someone could give me the dimensions for a small beginner aviary. I am only going to be keeping 2 birds and I want them to be able to fly in the aviary while they are being trained where home is. After I train them I will allow them to free fly but I still want them to have access to some fresh air during the day while I'm gone.

I was wondering if someone could give me the dimensions for a small beginner aviary. I am only going to be keeping 2 birds and I want them to be able to fly in the aviary while they are being trained where home is. After I train them I will allow them to free fly but I still want them to have access to some fresh air during the day while I'm gone.
Welcome to BYC! I'm so glad you want pigeons, they are very fun!

Okay, well to start, it's risky to fly two bird alone. If you lose one you lose a pair. Hawks will get pigeons, so be careful. all of that to say, free flying is very rewarding, and you should do it, while you supervise them.

If you are building an avairy for just two birds, and won't be breeding any, and will allow them to free fly once a day for an hour, it should be no smaller than 3 ft deep, 4 feet wide, and there feet tall. If your not free flying, and have just two birds, it will need to be big bigger most likely. what weather do you experience? Doors it get cold? You will probably need to build a small wooden enclosed area to keep them warm.

Welcome to BYC! I'm so glad you want pigeons, they are very fun!

Okay, well to start, it's risky to fly two bird alone. If you lose one you lose a pair. Hawks will get pigeons, so be careful. all of that to say, free flying is very rewarding, and you should do it, while you supervise them.

If you are building an avairy for just two birds, and won't be breeding any, and will allow them to free fly once a day for an hour, it should be no smaller than 3 ft deep, 4 feet wide, and there feet tall. If your not free flying, and have just two birds, it will need to be big bigger most likely. what weather do you experience? Doors it get cold? You will probably need to build a small wooden enclosed area to keep them warm.
Thank you for the reply! So I am going to be making a 3x3 cube for the birds to live in with a door that will lead to their aviary. It does get cold where I live (New Jersey). I know there are hawks in my area but I personally do not see them that often near my home. I know this will probably change but my hope is to free fly them every day. I am willing to watch them for 2-3 hours most days and will make sure to never give them less than an hour of free flying. Is the setup of a 3x3x3 loft and a 3x4x3 aviary okay with my situation. Also how far off the ground should I keep the loft?

As soon as the hawks see the pigeons flying, it’ll be ringing the dinner bell for them but one way around it is to mix the times you fly them up daily and focusing on flying later in the afternoons. As far as aviary size, it would depend on the type of bird you went for. If it was a homer or other breed that flys a lot I’d recommend more flight room versus it being an ornamental breed that doesn’t fly as much.

As soon as the hawks see the pigeons flying, it’ll be ringing the dinner bell for them but one way around it is to mix the times you fly them up daily and focusing on flying later in the afternoons. As far as aviary size, it would depend on the type of bird you went for. If it was a homer or other breed that flys a lot I’d recommend more flight room versus it being an ornamental breed that doesn’t fly as much.
I could definitely switch up the times that I let the pigeons out but I have a question. I know that homing pigeons are better at flying away from hawks but is there a type of pigeon that I could get that will take less time to home but will also like to fly around. I have no desire to drive my pigeons and release them miles away. I rather just have two that will fly around and come back to the coop when I call them. Any suggestions?

I could definitely switch up the times that I let the pigeons out but I have a question. I know that homing pigeons are better at flying away from hawks but is there a type of pigeon that I could get that will take less time to home but will also like to fly around. I have no desire to drive my pigeons and release them miles away. I rather just have two that will fly around and come back to the coop when I call them. Any suggestions?
Loft flying is when you just open the doors and let them fly your yard and it’s a very common practice with many people that keep homers. While some people do tosses with pigeons at varying distances, there are also quite a few that simply loft fly or do a combination of both, such as @backyard pigeons. Also it’s fairly easy to train pigeons to respond to a whistle, shaking a can of rocks, or another call to signify feeding time

Loft flying is when you just open the doors and let them fly your yard and it’s a very common practice with many people that keep homers. While some people do tosses with pigeons at varying distances, there are also quite a few that simply loft fly or do a combination of both, such as @backyard pigeons. Also it’s fairly easy to train pigeons to respond to a whistle, shaking a can of rocks, or another call to signify feeding time
Oh okay. So it would be okay to get some young homing pigeons and just let them fly my yard? If I get young pigeons how long do I have to keep them in the loft/attached aviary before I can start letting them fly my yard? Thank you so much for your help.

Is the setup of a 3x3x3 loft and a 3x4x3 aviary okay with my situation. Also how far off the ground should I keep the loft?
that sounds perfect! I would build it however high you like, whatever is comfortable for you. Remember, take your time building it and make sure it will be easy to clean.
Oh okay. So it would be okay to get some young homing pigeons and just let them fly my yard? If I get young pigeons how long do I have to keep them in the loft/attached aviary before I can start letting them fly my yard? Thank you so much for your help.
I have settled young homing pigeons (sqeakers, this is when they still make the squeaking noise like they did when begging for food) in ten days. this is when they are young with proper training. If you get some that are breeding age, and flew at their old home, they may go back. It all depends on how close it was, how much they flew, their age, etc. so go with young ones if at all possible.

As far as training, have a little trap door for the birds to come back in. Train them to use this by pushing them they it, and putting a small little cage around it. Also make sure they are the whole surrounding area around the loft. They will get spooked and you may lose them if they don't recognize the area. I typically do hard core training for a week, and then fly them. They should go thru the trap ten or more times without hesitation before you fly them.

Always fly them hungry, good is the number one determination for pigeins. have a food call, so that when you're ready for them to come in, you whistle, clap, etc... and then they will know it's food time and come back in.

Remember,,,, never fly a bird you can't bear to lose!

IMG_20190718_114421.jpg
IMG_20190722_105400.jpg
IMG_20190807_100958.jpg
IMG_20190718_114049.jpg
IMG_20190714_182501.jpg
IMG_20190714_182619.jpg
IMG_20190823_143303.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190715_103821.jpg
    IMG_20190715_103821.jpg
    712.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20190715_103640_1.jpg
    IMG_20190715_103640_1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
that sounds perfect! I would build it however high you like, whatever is comfortable for you. Remember, take your time building it and make sure it will be easy to clean.

I have settled young homing pigeons (sqeakers, this is when they still make the squeaking noise like they did when begging for food) in ten days. this is when they are young with proper training. If you get some that are breeding age, and flew at their old home, they may go back. It all depends on how close it was, how much they flew, their age, etc. so go with young ones if at all possible.

As far as training, have a little trap door for the birds to come back in. Train them to use this by pushing them they it, and putting a small little cage around it. Also make sure they are the whole surrounding area around the loft. They will get spooked and you may lose them if they don't recognize the area. I typically do hard core training for a week, and then fly them. They should go thru the trap ten or more times without hesitation before you fly them.

Always fly them hungry, good is the number one determination for pigeins. have a food call, so that when you're ready for them to come in, you whistle, clap, etc... and then they will know it's food time and come back in.

Remember,,,, never fly a bird you can't bear to lose!
Okay!! Thank you so much. This is great information. I am going to be building my loft this weekend. Ill make sure to have a trap door with maybe a small dog crate to teach them how to get in through the door. I will just place them in the crate before feeding time and when I put food they'll want to go through hopefully right?

Back
Top Bottom