Aviary Design&Construction

AnImAlSrGr3aT

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2019
Hi everyone I have 2 pairs of woodies 1p of red heads 1p of hottentot teals and I just wanted to see some ideas of what everyone else has done for their aviary's. I was thinking of making mine a 25'x50'x12'tall but I wanted to use the big farm pond for there water but theres no way for me to predator proof the whole thing. I was thinking of fencing in a corner of the pond with wire that won't rust to quickly and using a small enough mesh so turtles cannot get in and bigger fish. I wanted it so minos would be able to swim in so they could eat them. I want a natural feel I will post pictures of progress once I get started do y'all think that is a good idea or should I go a different route.

I would personally recommend predator-proofing your aviary. there are so many threads on there (primarily the regular domestic duck area), where people didn't take their set up seriously and properly secure their ducks or just let them roam around. Not sure how large your pond is, but if it's small enough to include and just make your aviary fit around it, do that. Otherwise, i'd recommend just putting in various man-made pond tubs or something of that sort. Several people on here have dug their own giant ponds, like 100x100 feet probably. I have a 7x13x6 aviary in the back of my house that i made for my hottentot teals with a 40 gallon oval watering tub from Tractor supply. I have to clean it out once a week with just 1 pair and with 3 pairs, it's pretty much at the same point in 2 days. If you have multiple of those or a much bigger one, it might make cleaning easier. I don't have any experience with natural or larger man-made ponds though, so i i'm not sure if keeping it clean is something you are worried about. It will be a lot harder without a filtering system. From what i have seen, people with larger aviaries have fenced in aviaries with flight netting to help keep hawks away and the birds in. My setup is pretty much the same as that. I have a 2 foot sight barrier of boards all around and also buried 2"x6" boards all around and in between the posts, with dirt and then gravel on top of that.

On an unrelated note, if you know anyone that has any hottentot pairs available, let me know. I bought my first pair in 2010 and the male died a few years ago. I have been unable to find a pair since he died. The female is still doing good. She cried constantly for about a year. She even layed 7 eggs so far this past month. Sadly they won't hatch, since it's just her in there.

Also, my old thread is in my signature. It has pics and the development of my aviary including surfaces, food, etc. most of the construction start around page 6 or 7.

Back
Top Bottom