Aviary Pox?

nd0084267

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 25, 2009
A few days ago, I noticed a large black lump in front of one of my buff orpington pullet's comb. I didn't think of it as a big deal, until I found a scab on the back of her comb that was breaking away. She keeps her mouth open, and sometimes makes small weezing noises. My hen has been laying a lot less eggs than last week, and mosquito season just started. I think it might be aviary pox, does anyone know?

21777_013.jpg

Scab on comb
21777_005.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photos.

Yep, that's exactly what it is. As for the panting and wheezing, if it is really hot outside, that is why she is panting. The wheezing could be caused by heat too, but try to look into her mouth and throat.....see if you can see any red spots in there. If so, you'll need to look up treatments for "wet" pox.

It is spread by mosquitoes, unfortunately! My 3 girls are just getting over it. The scabs can get really big and gross-looking, but they will fall off eventually.

I hope your girl gets through it unscathed.
smile.png

Here's a handy article from our very own website:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-diseases-AvianPox.html

Because the front lesions seem to be covering her nares (nostrils), I'd pick the scabbies away, paint the area with a betadine laced q-tip, and then check as welovechickens pointed out for lesions inside the mouth in case of wet pox.

I suspect, however, that she's got dry pox and that her nares are blocked by the scabbed lesion.

Mine are dealing with this right now, too. Ohhh I should take pictures! They have dry pox and are dealing with it quite well. One has a big lesion at the back just like yours does. They usually pass over this quite well and, thankfully, are done with it for life. But the article will help you know which questions you need to ask here next, if any!

I hope she does alright. She's certainly a curious hen, isn't she?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom