Away from home, geese wont go to bed

LadyWolf44005

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
I am away from home in a completely different state for 6 days. I left my dad in charge of takeing care of my two male geese. Main probblem, they hate my dad. But he was the only one willing to watch them. Apparently last night and tonight. He cant get them to go to bed. (Go into their coop). So he left them out for the whole night! He cant go in there run with out being attacked. I am worried about coyotes, raccoons and foxes geting to them at night. I am worried and dont know what to tell him. Anyone with ideas?? Please dont say I should not have left them. I am already being hard on my self.

I am away from home in a completely different state for 6 days. I left my dad in charge of takeing care of my two male geese. Main probblem, they hate my dad. But he was the only one willing to watch them. Apparently last night and tonight. He cant get them to go to bed. (Go into their coop). So he left them out for the whole night! He cant go in there run with out being attacked. I am worried about coyotes, raccoons and foxes geting to them at night. I am worried and dont know what to tell him. Anyone with ideas?? Please dont say I should not have left them. I am already being hard on my self.
It sounds like they need to be "encouraged" - your father may want to employ a "guide" (I use a length of lightweight PVC pipe) to direct them to where they need to go. Even a long stick may work to direct them to the coop. If they're really difficult, setting up a fenced "chute" to allow them no alternative to going in may also be necessary - I use a section of deer fencing (lightweight plastic mesh) to direct the ducks and geese into their secure coop, when needed.

Best of luck - hope he gets your birds inside for their safety!

It sounds like they need to be "encouraged" - your father may want to employ a "guide" (I use a length of lightweight PVC pipe) to direct them to where they need to go. Even a long stick may work to direct them to the coop. If they're really difficult, setting up a fenced "chute" to allow them no alternative to going in may also be necessary - I use a section of deer fencing (lightweight plastic mesh) to direct the ducks and geese into their secure coop, when needed.

Best of luck - hope he gets your birds inside for their safety!
I will tell him this. Thank you so much for replying!!

I use a stick of some sort as well. You might try training them to the stick while you are home so next time you are away the goose sitter will be able to use the familiar item and things might go easier.

Back
Top Bottom