1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Awesome Idea!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chick1043, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Is anyone else decorating their chicken coop with christmas lights? If you are, post pics!! xD

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    If I did lights I would totally do the coop over the house! I wonder though would it attract more predators???

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I am! But not until December 20th when we decorate the house.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    My dad did it one year around the horse pen. It was really neat, till the horse eat them [​IMG]

5. nanaimochick

nanaimochick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2011
    nanaimo, b.c.
    I put up lights a few months ago when my older neighbour was going to look after the chickens for a few days. They are on a dawn/dusk timer set for 4 hours. It's pretty and it really helps when you're out there after dark. I think it scares away racoons too. I'll try to get a picture tonight.

6. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:I wouldn't think so! lol Although my area is predator free!

7. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

We have a 10" x 40' rectangular run that I run white Christmas rope lights on. Looks pretty cool and helps seeing down there at night too. I don't have any pics, and now that I have two coops with timers, I'll have to figure out where I'm going to plug them in. Not to mention, a few bulbs broke( the lights are almost translucent, so I just leave them up all year) so I'll have to see if they even still work. I hope so, it was alot of work to put them up. I'll post some pics if I get some soon.

8. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:awesome!!

9. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Cool idea, but we have never had electricity in any of our coops or barns. [​IMG]

10. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Quote:We have a manufactered home, with one lousy outdoor outlet, in the front of the house, no less. One of the plugs powers our little "mini"shop with an underground super heavy duty extension cord. The other, I run an extension cord down to the chickens, and from there, I have a 3 headed extension cord, that has two timers plugged into it. It is not as overloaded as it sounds [​IMG] I'm thinking that since all the chickens have been cramming themselves into one coop, maybe i'll use that plug. Sorry, just kind of figured that out as I was typing, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by