Aww they looked cold and scared

careeka22

Songster
Jul 29, 2016
Aylett VA
Just put my 6.5 week chicks in the coop, yes yes we completely babied them in the house this long! Honestly it was my husband I had to explain why I turned the heat lamp off at 5 weeks. All 9 we're trying to fit into one nest box so I made them a box to huddle in. Someone told me to introduce the adults to the babies at dusk, is that right? My 2 hens seemed just scared of them and went to the opposite side of the coop and roosted. Will they be ok in the morning together?

Here they are on grass for the first time and checking out the coop.

Attachments

• IMG_20180330_171625958.jpg
    IMG_20180330_171625958.jpg
    879.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20180330_184458285.jpg
    IMG_20180330_184458285.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 11
I would want to be around for the integration process. I do prefer to integrate my chicks with the adults while they are young. I start with outdoor meet and greets while the flock is free ranging so there is LOTS of room, and lots of activity to keep the flock busy. When the initial meeting takes place, I usually toss some scratch grains to keep everyone occupied. I would not leave 6 week old chicks alone with adults after only a single day of integration.

I would want to be around for the integration process. I do prefer to integrate my chicks with the adults while they are young. I start with outdoor meet and greets while the flock is free ranging so there is LOTS of room, and lots of activity to keep the flock busy. When the initial meeting takes place, I usually toss some scratch grains to keep everyone occupied. I would not leave 6 week old chicks alone with adults after only a single day of integration.

Ok thank you. I watched for a while and they did nothing but move away from them but I'll put the big girls in my spare coop tonight just to be safe. We only have a small run right now, building a bigger one next week .

Mine are spending their first night unsupervised with the adults, too. They’re five weeks old. My younger set needed my outdoor brooder, so after a week or so confined there and another week coming and going from the brooder of their own choice, then a night locked in a cage inside the coop, tonight I came home late and found all four chicks curled up under a piece of plywood, happily ignored by the 20 adults. My younger set was warbling peacefully in the brooder. Everyone looked comfy, but I will still worry until I count them all in the morning and this is hardly my first rodeo with chick integration!

Mine are spending their first night unsupervised with the adults, too. They’re five weeks old. My younger set needed my outdoor brooder, so after a week or so confined there and another week coming and going from the brooder of their own choice, then a night locked in a cage inside the coop, tonight I came home late and found all four chicks curled up under a piece of plywood, happily ignored by the 20 adults. My younger set was warbling peacefully in the brooder. Everyone looked comfy, but I will still worry until I count them all in the morning and this is hardly my first rodeo with chick integration!

I hope everything continues to go well! My 2 hens are so sweet and docile that I'd be shocked to see them attack but it can happen! The chicks are aa feisty bunch. But to be safe I'll separate them tonight. My husband thinks it's too cold and to bring them back in. It should be low 40s.

I hope everything continues to go well! My 2 hens are so sweet and docile that I'd be shocked to see them attack but it can happen! The chicks are aa feisty bunch. But to be safe I'll separate them tonight. My husband thinks it's too cold and to bring them back in. It should be low 40s.
I’ve brought chicks back in many times but have finally gotten to the point where I have the space outside and it isn’t necessary anymore. I put them in a rabbit cage inside the coop last night, just to be safe, but all the interactions have been great and the chicks, despite their small numbers and three being bantams, have been very independent. It’s supposed to be 36 for the low here tonight, but it’s ordinarily ten degrees warmer in the coop and they have the bedding and one another. The younger set have a heater in their brooder. Still, I can’t wait for warmer weather to get here! Next year I hope to let broodies do the work in the cold weather, if they’re willing. Winter chicks are so much worry!

I’ve brought chicks back in many times but have finally gotten to the point where I have the space outside and it isn’t necessary anymore. I put them in a rabbit cage inside the coop last night, just to be safe, but all the interactions have been great and the chicks, despite their small numbers and three being bantams, have been very independent. It’s supposed to be 36 for the low here tonight, but it’s ordinarily ten degrees warmer in the coop and they have the bedding and one another. The younger set have a heater in their brooder. Still, I can’t wait for warmer weather to get here! Next year I hope to let broodies do the work in the cold weather, if they’re willing. Winter chicks are so much worry!

Yes! My last group we got in the dead of summer and I didn't even need heat it was so warm. They were in the coop by 4 weeks. Having winter chicks is so much more work!

Back
Top Bottom