Ayam Cemani Questions

EmilyRobb

Songster
May 12, 2020
Southwestern Manitoba
I recently acquired 4 ayam cemani chickens, one male and three female. They were born at the end of January so they are about 20 weeks/5 months old now. I'm new to the breed, so I have a few questions about this guys so I'm informed more clearly about them and so that I can cater to their needs.

1) When will the rooster start crowing? He makes clucking noises, but I've never seen or heard an attempted or actual crow.
2) When will the females start laying? I've read that the POL can be as early as 5 months or as late as 7 months, but this is unclear for this breed.
3) What is the laying pattern for hens? I've heard that they won't lay for months, but also that they just alternate between weeks.
4) Will the chickens be able to breed as soon as the hens start laying? I'm not sure when the male will be mature enough.
5) How big approximately is the clutch size for a mother ayam cemani? In saying that they're "questionable" layers, I'm unsure on how many eggs they'll lay before the eggs sit for too long without incubation.
6) What foods do ayam cemanis prefer? I've tried to feed them the same food as my cochins, but they aren't fans of earthworms, strawberries, carrot shavings, etc.
7) How should ayam cemanis be kept to make them happy? They're in an enclosure where they each have 20sqft of space 6ft of height for flying up to perches, as well as a coop above the ground, some "stimulus", and food+water. They also get let out into a chicken tractor to pick at grass and bugs and such.

4) Will the chickens be able to breed as soon as the hens start laying? I'm not sure when the male will be mature enough.

I don't know Ayam Cemanis in particular, but with most chickens the males start to mate before the females start to lay eggs.

I recently acquired 4 ayam cemani chickens, one male and three female. They were born at the end of January so they are about 20 weeks/5 months old now. I'm new to the breed, so I have a few questions about this guys so I'm informed more clearly about them and so that I can cater to their needs.

1) When will the rooster start crowing? He makes clucking noises, but I've never seen or heard an attempted or actual crow.
2) When will the females start laying? I've read that the POL can be as early as 5 months or as late as 7 months, but this is unclear for this breed.
3) What is the laying pattern for hens? I've heard that they won't lay for months, but also that they just alternate between weeks.
5) How big approximately is the clutch size for a mother ayam cemani? In saying that they're "questionable" layers, I'm unsure on how many eggs they'll lay before the eggs sit for too long without incubation.
6) What foods do ayam cemanis prefer? I've tried to feed them the same food as my cochins, but they aren't fans of earthworms, strawberries, carrot shavings, etc.
7) How should ayam cemanis be kept to make them happy? They're in an enclosure where they each have 20sqft of space 6ft of height for flying up to perches, as well as a coop above the ground, some "stimulus", and food+water. They also get let out into a chicken tractor to pick at grass and bugs and such.
I have Ayum Cemani. My hens were 5-6 months old when they started laying. They are daily layers. The eggs are small. They stopped laying during a cold snap we had in February in Texas. The roosters are mean as heck and K am having to put a couple down. They have terrorized me and my grandkids. The last straw was attacking my 19 month old grandson in the face.

4) Are they hatchmates with the same mother/father? If so, it's not recommended to hatch eggs from them, they will be more likely to have birth defects and health problems.
5) I'm not sure if this breed is particularly broody? I'm sure a Google search could answer that.
6) All chickens need access to a proper chicken feed. Starter or grower/all flock is recommended for a flock containing a rooster, with a side of oyster shell and/or crushed egg shells to supplement the calcium needs of the hens.
7) Sounds like they have plenty of room.

Back
Top Bottom