Ayam Cemani?

banjoellen

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2019
While searching craigslist for coops I ran across someone in a nearby town selling an Ayam Cemani hen. I’ve been coveting one but I’m curious to know your opinions on whether it is a legit Ayam Cemani, if so is she really a hen, and whether buying a chicken off CL is even a good idea in general. Please note I don’t care that they aren’t good layers and I’m not looking to breed her. I just think they’re gorgeous birds!

Attachments

• 997BA30F-E353-4060-A2EF-ACEB9AF54706.jpeg
    997BA30F-E353-4060-A2EF-ACEB9AF54706.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 65
she is a pullet and I don’t know much about Ayam cemanis to say if she is a nice one
She doesn’t look all that healthy
Thank you for the reassurance that she’s a pullet. I did wonder about health. I don’t want to bring anything contagious into contact with my other chickens.

I've bought chicks, chickens, and hatching eggs off Craig's list with mixed results. My chickens have to be able to make it outside on their own (except at night), and have good resistance, as there are over 100 commercial chickenhouses within a mile. I personally have had better luck with chickens and eggs from small hobby farmers. The chickens and eggs from breeders with large numbers of chickens, or chickens that are crowded and kept indoors haven't done as well for me.

Its hard to say with 100% certainty if she is pure Cemani. If she is black inside the mouth then she likely is. But its also VERY easy to find solid black crossbred birds. If the bird is close go take a look. Do some research online first. Then take a look at the bird. Go with your gut.

Back
Top Bottom