Aylesbury Duck not well.... Straining to breath..????

JeanGenie

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 30, 2009
Birmingham, UK
Hi all

I have searched other threads but can't find anything that might help us answer why our Aylesbury duck is having problems...

Can anyone offer any helpful advice please. We have a white Aylesbury duck and over the past couple of days she seems to be struggling to breath. As you look at her she looks like she is either out of breath or panting. As she breaths out her whole body looks strained. We have had a look down her throat, well as much as we dare open her beak and cant see anything stuck. We have rubbed her crop, throat and chest but to no avail. She is eating normally, drinking and in and out of the pool. Her eyes are clear, and her plumage looks great. She has always laid an egg everyday and is still continuing to do so normally.

We are asking as in the UK today is what we call a Bank Holiday, or to you Americans a Labor Day. Same her as over there, everything is closed for the day, so are the vets..!!! So can anyone offer some advice to maybe anything we can do until the vets open tomorrow please. Obviously dont want to loose her as she is my wife's best friend in the coop.

I could always video her and upload it to youtube id anyone thinks that might help.....

Anyone please....

Many thanks

Dal

I have an Aylesbury drake who is very large- But I have never noticed breathing issues with him unless he has been waddling very fast ( I had to write that as he cant run like any of my other ducks due to his huge frame. ) I am wondering if it may just be size related. Being such a large heavy breed of duck - the extra weight may sometimes cause problems. Are her nostril clear or does she have any nasal discharge at all??

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding. We can see no nasal discharge, nor are her eyes cloudy or running. She has us stumped. We just got back from a guy who has a huge open space with chickens and ducks that roam free. We asked him if he had any ideas and he suggested we wormed her. She was done a couple of weeks ago but have just mixed up some chopped grapes, bread soaked in milk and my wife has spoon fed her.

She has just drained the water tank they have a scrubbed it clean. They all have now some fresh clean water. She has also cleaned the run, coop and looked for anything that she could have nibbled on. We have no wild flowers close by that she could get to, only her feed, water and some lettuce, cabbage and those grapes. Tracey is fussy what she feeds them. The other ducks show no signs of anything like what Daphne has. Even the chickens that they live with are all healthy and fine.

We just thought of one thing...!!! The water tank they have to play and splash in is our son's old sandpit. It is blue and stands about 8 inches high. When we set it in the large coop we put log roll around to support their getting in and out. As we know ducks are not ballet stars..!!! Maybe she has slipped and bumped herself as she climbed out of the plastic pool????? Tracey has also had her out on her lap and checked her crop, throat and chest and can feel nothing out of the ordinary.

We are at a loss......

But thanks thus far...

Dal & Tracey

Back
Top Bottom