AZ brooder to coop?

AZchickenchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 6, 2008
OK, I know this is old hat to you guys, but......I live in Phoenix AZ, nite temps are in the lo 50s, 40s. My 3 girls are about one month old and really feathering up - a RIR, Barred Rock, Arecuana. I put them out all day but bring them inside (a cardboard box) at night.
When do I: 1) Turn off the nite warming bulb, and, 2) Let them sleep outside in their coop?
It actually freezes at night here sometimes.

I LOVE these girls. I laugh every time I see them, and how can a feathered reptile have so much personality???!!!

And I love you guys...I never would have gotten this far without you! Please keep up with your opinions and advice. It all helps, and even your in-fighting about chickens cracks me up!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!!! Love Newbie SARA

:Freezes in Phoenix ? Not in the 5 years I lived there ? You could probably keep them inside without the light for a while before putting them outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I'm in Mesa. I have some 8 week olds that were out all night with out any heat and it was 46 this morning. They would probably be happier wit a heat lamp though. My 4 week olds are in a brooder with a heat lamp on the back patio though.

We used to put then in a tractor as soon as we got them. We had a box in the back of it, and we would herd then into it just before sundown. After a couple of days, they knew the routine.

Of course, we had 24 chicks at a time. They would keep each other warm.

On cold nights, we had a porcelain light fixture screwed onto a block of wood. Over that we had a tin can punched full of holes. And over that we had a much larger can punched full of holes. It kept them warm, but didn't get hot enough to burn them.

Rufus

I keep a brooder lamp in the nursery coop that's on a timer. My little girls have their own run. I have it on at night from about 5pm till 9am. It's susposed to be 33 degrees tonight according to the Weather Channel. There are some pictures on my BYC page.

Back
Top Bottom