AZ Gardeners

So it turns out that the local bird population really likes newly sprouted Moringa trees/seeds. *Sigh* Time to rethink how I plant these darn things.
I've taken to covering certain things with a small bird cage. I have a couple (finch sized) laying about. Works just as good to keep birds out as it does to keep birds in! I have one over a baby Tree of Heaven in the chicken pen right now that I want to grow into a shade tree for them.

I have tomato cages covered in chicken wire to keep some things protected.
For a wider area I put some small wooden stakes in the ground, attached chicken wire and folded it over to touch the ground. I can still water but my seedlings get a fighting chance

Hi all,

Got a hen who is laying (daily), but broody. Is that possible??

If she's just beginning to turn broody, yes. What I see in my girls is they continue to lay for a few days while becoming broody, but the eggs size begins to diminish noticeably. Then, WHAMMO! The fluffing up, growling, touch me and my clutch at your own risk increases to epic levels and you suddenly have a fierce mama on your hands.

If she's just beginning to turn broody, yes. What I see in my girls is they continue to lay for a few days while becoming broody, but the eggs size begins to diminish noticeably. Then, WHAMMO! The fluffing up, growling, touch me and my clutch at your own risk increases to epic levels and you suddenly have a fierce mama on your hands.
My brother had a little blue speckly bantam last year that would draw blood. His wife was scared of her. I tossed her out of the coop and she'd run right back in, so one day I carried her all the way across the yard and on the way back she finally forgot about brooding and stayed outside all day... haha!!

So it turns out that the local bird population really likes newly sprouted Moringa trees/seeds. *Sigh* Time to rethink how I plant these darn things.
2 liter soda bottles work as a "green house/protector " slice the bottom off and put a stick or dowel in the ground to keep the bottle in place... When the plant starts to grow strong, it will push the bottle up.

Between the two apple trees I am going to bury a few old xmas trees, their needles too, and start a hugelkultur mound for future blueberries, artichokes, and other stuff for a guild.

Be careful using pine needles... they poison the ground for many types of growth... I'm told that's why I have trouble growing things in my front yard. I always left the needles to mulsh...

Be careful using pine needles... they poison the ground for many types of growth... I'm told that's why I have trouble growing things in my front yard. I always left the needles to mulsh...

Do you know the reason behind it?

I made the mistake of using "Forest Mulch" that was from pine trees and the ph was nuts. Things would sprout and die. Any leaves that would touch the dirt would burn. Water didn't help. Took over a year to get it close to neutral using baking soda and fire ashes. Going good now.

Back
Top Bottom