AZ Gardeners

2 liter soda bottles work as a "green house/protector " slice the bottom off and put a stick or dowel in the ground to keep the bottle in place... When the plant starts to grow strong, it will push the bottle up.

Oh, wow! That's brilliant! Thank you! A good friend of ours drinks four liters of soda per day, so I've got a constant supplier for the bottles. :)

I made the mistake of using "Forest Mulch" that was from pine trees and the ph was nuts. Things would sprout and die. Any leaves that would touch the dirt would burn. Water didn't help. Took over a year to get it close to neutral using baking soda and fire ashes. Going good now.

Good to know! Maybe I will use the trunks and then some branches from a mesquite tree and put the needles in the compost bin instead. Thanks very much!

The acidity level is too high... there are a few things that like it, depends what you want to grow..... just do some research. (I love google research)

Things that like acidic soil...blueberries, apple trees, artichokes. I was going to try a hugel mound out between the apple trees to prep for a guild out there. Don't want to over do it though.

Hi! I hope you guys don't mind if I'm peeking in on this thread? I'm actually in So Cal. We're considering making the big move out to AZ & I'm trying to learn as much about what I'd be getting myself into before we make any serious decisions. Some of my biggest questions revolve around gardening, farmers markets & eating local. I know that you can grow citrus out there & I've heard vegis are grown in fall/winter/spring instead of spring/summer/fall. Also, what do you guys do with your animals during summer monsoons & haboobs?

Hi! I hope you guys don't mind if I'm peeking in on this thread? I'm actually in So Cal. We're considering making the big move out to AZ & I'm trying to learn as much about what I'd be getting myself into before we make any serious decisions. Some of my biggest questions revolve around gardening, farmers markets & eating local. I know that you can grow citrus out there & I've heard vegis are grown in fall/winter/spring instead of spring/summer/fall. Also, what do you guys do with your animals during summer monsoons & haboobs?

Peek away!

A lot will depend on where you move in AZ. Are you thinking the Phoenix area, Tucson, the mountains?

I moved from so cal too and live in Phoenix. The soil is very different. A lot of it won't even grow weeds, it's sandy here and clay over there. Caliche can be a problem. Even if a label says full sun plants need shade in the afternoons. I have amended my soil a LOT and it can be done. Alternative gardening methods can work well here like bte or hugel mounds.

Farmers markets are quite popular in the valley and there are many you pick farms for seasonal fruits too.

My dogs are house dogs with a doggy door. Pampered to say the least lol.

This is my first year with chickens. We give them cool water in the afternoon, provide LOTS of shade either with trees or created with what we have around.

We turn on the hose where they hang out to keep the soil cool and moist and give frozen treats.

Some people use fans and/or misters.

You do get used to the heat...eventually.

Thanks for letting me be a friendly stalker! :pop We visit the subs south of Phoenix every year & I love it ... Just not sure if the weather & lifestyle changes would be too much culture shock to actually move there.

Thanks for letting me be a friendly stalker! :pop We visit the subs south of Phoenix every year & I love it ... Just not sure if the weather & lifestyle changes would be too much culture shock to actually move there.

Oh it's culture shock lol. But the cost of living is more manageable.

Back
Top Bottom