Azure Blue and Lavender Orpington cross

chickmama2019

Hatching
Nov 3, 2021
Hey everyone,

I came to a surprise a few days ago when my Azure Blue was found broody sitting on a pile of 14-16 eggs. Since I figure she's been working on them for awhile I just relocated her to a cozy space in the barn. Anyways, today these little chicks are starting to hatch out and I'm just curious of what this strange cross will be since Azures are a cross all on their own. My Azure Blue will be mixed with my Lavender Orpington rooster. I read that the Lavender will show black if not mixed with another true Lavender but I'm curious what will be if mixed with a pure white hen.

received_2951379691767350.jpeg
received_566498931297805.jpeg
so they are looking like barred rock chicks and just little yellow chicks. I only have this one that is an adorable mix of both colours! We have 9 hatched so far and about 5 or 7 more to possibly go. Once hatched they're getting moved to a bigger brooder. I'm so excited to see what they may look like as adults.

My Azure Blue will be mixed with my Lavender Orpington rooster. I read that the Lavender will show black if not mixed with another true Lavender but I'm curious what will be if mixed with a pure white hen.

I think white chicks and black chicks are the most likely possibilities, but when one parent is white, it's really hard to predict what the chicks will looke like.

There are several different genes that can make a hen be white, and they can hide the effect of many other genes. For example, if your white hen also has white barring, it could show up in her chicks (obvious on black chicks, but not on white ones.)

It's common for chicks to have a black-and-yellow pattern if they will grow up to be black all over, although the one you photographed has more yellow than I'm used to seeing on a "black" chick.

I'd love to see pictures as they grow :)

Back
Top Bottom