[b]Run construction questions[/b]

Carolyn252

Mother of Chickens
14 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Freeport/NassauCounty/L.I./NY
I had two questions about run construction concerning predator raccoons, so I could have posted the questions in either the Predators forum or the Construction form. I chose the former, but haven't gotten any specific answers there. I don't think the posting rules will allow me to post the same exact questions in another forum, so if you would be so kind, please jump to the "Predators and Pests" forum and read my two questions there. The first one is:
Wire gauge minimums for determined raccoons?
and:
Has ANYONE ever had a raccoon actually DIG under the run to get in?
Thanks very much for any help.
-Carolyn252

I can't see them chewing through any thing heavyer than 14ga. We had one for a pet when I was a kid. Can't recall her tunnelling abilities. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has actually had one dig in.
pop.gif

Last edited:
I agree, 14 gauge should be fine (and really they'd have to be pretty determined to go through 16 gauge, unless it has weak welds and they can just find a place to spread a big enough hole).

Raccoons do not AFAIK dig seriously (as opposed to scratching up the dirt a bit under a wall or fence to make a bigger entry hole, which I've had them do to get in my horse barn)... but almost everything else DOES, so it really doesn't matter that *raccoons specifically* are not major tunnellers
tongue.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom