B/S orps, any pullets and any splash? Pic heavy

Tuppemor

Songster
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Norway
I have four blue (?) orpingtons that are around 21 and 19 weeks. The two oldest are the darkest, they are a dark, dark blue. The two youngest are much lighter, are they splash?

I fear that I have all roos, considering their tail feathers all hang down the sides. The seller said there were at least two definite pullets, but I don't know which ones that was supposed to be.
Noone is crowing here, besides my little mix roo. Start making noise boys, it will be helpful!

Lots of pictures coming up, sorry about the quality.

IMG_5985.jpg

IMG_5921.jpg

IMG_5919.jpg

IMG_5914.jpg

IMG_5974.jpg

IMG_5972.jpg

IMG_5970.jpg

IMG_5968.jpg

IMG_5967.jpg

IMG_5962.jpg

IMG_5961.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

IMG_5953.jpg

IMG_5949.jpg

IMG_5946.jpg

IMG_5944.jpg

IMG_5943.jpg

IMG_5942.jpg

IMG_5937.jpg

IMG_5931.jpg

IMG_5928.jpg

IMG_5924.jpg

I don't see any that I would consider splash in any of the pics. Those are almost white. Yours are all blues in various shades, and one is very unevenly colored, but I wouldn't consider it splash at all

Thank you all for your replies! They come from a show breeder who sold me and my friend some of her good stock that she was planning to keep for herself. She just wanted us to get a good start. Some people are just that nice.
smile.png

Some of you say all roos, others say most pullets. Now I'm confused. Do all orpingtons have those saddle feathers hanging down? Because that's what keeps me thinking roo, so if they all have that I have to rethink them.

Okay, so no splashes. I wasn't expecting any, just wondering because of the different colors. Nice to know what I have.

Speckledhen: In which pictures do you think you see roos? I can tell if they are the same bird. I'm guessing it's one or both of the dark, older ones?

I sure do hope not all are roos, because that would make 7 out of 10 youngsters boys.. My little black brahma (who is sticking his head out in one of the pics) is also looking rooish.

More opinions always welcome.
smile.png

Last edited:
Now that I look again, I think at least three of them are cockerels, maybe 4. Pics #1, 2(butt to camera), 5 (dark one). Could be all of them. I see pointy saddles on all of the blues, maybe, even the one with the short comb that I first thought was a pullet.
Since you can see them in person, look at this hen of mine. See her back? No saddle feathers hanging off at all.

DCP_2685Skye-1.jpg

And a young pic of Suede and Velvet together so you can see the difference:

DCP_8058.jpg

Back
Top Bottom