B2 deficiency in hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by omanadia, Sep 10, 2018.

1. omanadia

omanadia In the Brooder

May 12, 2018
    Chatsworth, Ca
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has had to deal with B2 deficiency in a hen and if so did they ever recover? My hen Sophie has been getting the B2 but has been completely imobile for two weeks. Other than her not being able to walk she's fine. I don't know if I need to put her down or if she could potentially get better.

Thanks!
    Lisa

Chickem707 likes this.
  2. Wil781

Wil781 Songster

Apr 29, 2018
    Central Alabama
    Are you positive it is a B2 diffeciency and not Mareks? Mareks has same symptoms, I had a rooster that passed away a few weeks ago who had Mareks he was able to walk sort of he balanced himself with his wings to walk. I hope this is not the case with your hen but not seeing improvement you may need to consider it.

DobieLover and Eggcessive like this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If there is a riboflavin deficiency, it should respond to treatment within a few days if the treatment is started right away, as I have read. But other things, such as Mareks disease or an injury to the spine can cause curled under toes, and sitting on hocks, which are the usual symptoms of riboflavin deficiency. You might be intersted in using a chicken sling or chair to get her upright where food and water can be placed in front of her. They can be taken out periodically to rest and stretch. Here is a link about riboflavin deficiency and one about chicken slings:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

townchicks likes this.
  4. Chickem707

Chickem707 Songster

Jul 11, 2018
    I thought one of mine had it, still don’t know. She’s been like this for about a month now. Been on vitamin water and eggs. She’s walking around on her hocks now, i didn’t give up on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: