Babies!!! And some curious questions..

Apr 6, 2018
So early this morning we had a surprise!! To adorable ducklings where born!! Out of the 11 eggs my Patch was sitting on so far we have 2 new addtions!! Now honestly I felt at first the other three ducks (who are about 4months old) would peck them and hurt them... But to my surprise... They are proctecting the ducklings as if they are there own!!!
2018070795123913.jpg
2018070795123921.jpg
Now i noticed Patch ( momma duck) is still laying on 4 eggs. But has casted out 5 of them!!! I am not sure if I should remove them or wait to see if they hatch. I've never had hatchings before and I am not 100% sure how to take care of them... I mean Patch is being a wonderful mother so I don't think I need to interfer. Should I leave them with the other ducks?? Or should I bring them inside for a while? Any helpful hints on hatchling ducks would be of great help!!! Thank you all because with out the duck form I'd surely be lost!!!
PS. The last pictures are of them all but the have the ducklings in the middle of them like a baracade lol.

Attachments

• 15310163171891065115930.jpg
    15310163171891065115930.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 1531016347584-1311130328.jpg
    1531016347584-1311130328.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 14
Very cute. Some people separate the broody mom from other ducks so that her hatchlings are safe.
I would be concerned about the drake. Drakes can kill ducklings- not all do.
If you can separate momma with the ducklings, that would be the best solution.

So early this morning we had a surprise!! To adorable ducklings where born!! Out of the 11 eggs my Patch was sitting on so far we have 2 new addtions!! Now honestly I felt at first the other three ducks (who are about 4months old) would peck them and hurt them... But to my surprise... They are proctecting the ducklings as if they are there own!!! View attachment 1459456 View attachment 1459459Now i noticed Patch ( momma duck) is still laying on 4 eggs. But has casted out 5 of them!!! I am not sure if I should remove them or wait to see if they hatch. I've never had hatchings before and I am not 100% sure how to take care of them... I mean Patch is being a wonderful mother so I don't think I need to interfer. Should I leave them with the other ducks?? Or should I bring them inside for a while? Any helpful hints on hatchling ducks would be of great help!!! Thank you all because with out the duck form I'd surely be lost!!!
PS. The last pictures are of them all but the have the ducklings in the middle of them like a baracade lol.
Adorable!!

Since it doesn't look like your ducks are inside fencing those lil ones and the adults are really at risk or being pred food. The mama and ducklings need a very safe place the adults will most likely die trying to protect them. Stray dogs etc are a big threat to water fowl and their babes.

They where just out supervised since they don't have grass in their enclosed space, so once a day I let them out they don't leave the yard and are never out alone. The ducklings are doing good but they are super attacked to my drake and want nothing to do with momma. And my drake attcked me when I tried to take the ducklings from him. At this point I am don't know what is better leave them be or try to remove them again. Thank you all for the answers^^

So early this morning we had a surprise!! To adorable ducklings where born!! Out of the 11 eggs my Patch was sitting on so far we have 2 new addtions!! Now honestly I felt at first the other three ducks (who are about 4months old) would peck them and hurt them... But to my surprise... They are proctecting the ducklings as if they are there own!!! View attachment 1459456 View attachment 1459459Now i noticed Patch ( momma duck) is still laying on 4 eggs. But has casted out 5 of them!!! I am not sure if I should remove them or wait to see if they hatch. I've never had hatchings before and I am not 100% sure how to take care of them... I mean Patch is being a wonderful mother so I don't think I need to interfer. Should I leave them with the other ducks?? Or should I bring them inside for a while? Any helpful hints on hatchling ducks would be of great help!!! Thank you all because with out the duck form I'd surely be lost!!!

I got my first set of ducklings this year as well, I absolutely adore them! I added probiotics to the water.

Back
Top Bottom