Babies are now 6 weeks old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CoolBeans, Mar 24, 2017.

1. CoolBeans

CoolBeans New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    1 week old
    [​IMG]

6 weeks old
    [​IMG]

The girls are growing so fast! I will have the coop completed in a week or 2. They are very mild mannered and love to be picked up and taken on field trips to the living room.

1 person likes this.
  2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Lol they outgrow the brooder quick! A lot of people don't realize that when they see the tiny fluffy butts.

3. Oddball Flock

Oddball Flock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    California
    Wow!! They do grow quick!! I was thinking my babies would be able to stay in a brooder up until 6 weeks but it seems I'll have to find something more spacious. About when do I integrate the new chicks in with my other chickens. I have 2 atm, one rooster and one hen.

4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I like to brood mine outdoors in close quarters with the rest of the flock and have them start interacting with each others (supervised) by four weeks. The sooner the chicks get to know everyone and their role in the flock and so on, the better. Usually they are in with the flock full time sometime around 6-8 weeks (sooner if raised by a broody), depending on the weather and whether they are standards or bantams/ My chickens are mostly good natured; it's my guineas that I have to keep an eye on because they are just malicious and enjoy tormenting the chickens, especially now that its approaching their mating season.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  5. Oddball Flock

Mar 16, 2017
    California
    Thank you for the info!! So would you suggest I have an area in the coop sectioned off for them and put them in there at 4 weeks?? Or do i move them back and forth from brooder to coop??

6. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    That is up to you, and your weather. I built a brooder addition onto one of my coops, with its only little run area that shares a side with the main run so they can see each other. I also just got a second little coop on clearance that I stuck inside my main run (my run is about 750sq ft) and I have some other 4-week chicks in there as well. Those are actually already off of heat since they have been brooding outside in the attachment coop since about 3 days old. The ones that are now in the attachment brooder coop (which has power via an extension cord from the garage) were moved from my enclosed porch a week ago and are using a heating pad for heat and slowly being weaned off. Temps are moving up starting today so they should be off of it very soon. So, in other words, I have the means to keep them outdoors 24/7 and let them be able to see and interact with but not become bullied by the flock. I know a lot of people can't do that with their current setup.

7. Oddball Flock

Mar 16, 2017
    California
    Ok that gives me an idea of what to do. Thank you! I'm new to raising chickens from newly hatched.

8. jasonvanorder

jasonvanorder Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2017
    West Michigan
    That they do. First year for me. Started out with 8 in a 50 gallon tote. A week ago had to jerry rig a bigger brooder out of chicken wire and a kiddy pool in the living room. The chicks and the dogs love it. The wife.....not so much.

9. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    As soon as possible :)

I just integrated 3 pullets into my existing flock of 3 hens and it has been much more difficult than I ever anticipated. If I could do it over again I would have raised them in the coop from day one in their own safe space where the hens could see them but not get to them. People who do this say that they can usually have their chicks mostly integrated by the time they are 4 weeks old or so. I followed this process but didn't put the chicks in the coop until they were more like 4-6 weeks old with full access at 9 weeks old. At this age my hens absolutely viewed them as a threat to the pecking order and have treated them as such-it has been pretty ugly and occasionally violent. I don't think this would have happened if they had been in the coop from just a few days old. My pullets are now 17 weeks old and things have just very recently started to calm down a bit but it isn't perfect.

That was probably more info than you asked for but my advice is do it as soon as you possibly can. Do a search on the forum for "brooding in the coop", there are a lot of resources. Don't let weather be a deterrent. People brood in the coop in the middle of winter in sub zero temps.

10. Oddball Flock

Mar 16, 2017
    California
    That actually helps alot. Thank you! I hatched 5 yesterday and got carried away and bought 6 more at TSC. To top it off, my hen is sitting on 2 that should be hatching any day now. I'm not too worried about the space once they get big enough. My coop is a pretty good size with an outside run about half the size of my coop and as I've said i currently have 1 rooster and 1 hen.
    I'm probably going to section off a part of the coop for the babies and put them out in a few weeks. Today it is 65°F but it has been "storming" so it should blow over soon enough and the temp should go back up to mid to high 70's. I use the term storming lightly because we don't really have storms here lol. It's mostly on/off rain and overcast. The weather is weird in CA especially in the valley.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by