babies & corid

BJohnson22

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2021
:(
So the last 48 hours have been terrible. I watched one of my older chickens have diarrhea and thought...that's weird. So I inspected it. Literally turned around to see one of my newer chicks dead in a ball will bloody poop under her. So I immediately went out to get corid & have added it to the water supply. since then I've have three more of my younger birds die. I went into the coop & apparently my broody hen hatched her babies in the last 12 hours as well. So I immediately washed my hands & moved mom & new babies to another area. I got them medicated started feel but I'm so scared they are going to die being born in the middle of a "pandemic". Help!Any advice is wonderful! I've owned chickens for three years and have NEVER had problems until this week& im freaking out.

Just treat everyone with corid. They should be ok.
You might want to give the worst ones an oral dosage to up the recovery. You can also give a slightly higher dosage since you are loosing some.

Just treat everyone with corid. They should be ok.
You might want to give the worst ones an oral dosage to up the recovery. You can also give a slightly higher dosage since you are loosing some.
thank you! would you even dose the chicks that just hatched yesterday?

:(
So the last 48 hours have been terrible. I watched one of my older chickens have diarrhea and thought...that's weird. So I inspected it. Literally turned around to see one of my newer chicks dead in a ball will bloody poop under her. So I immediately went out to get corid & have added it to the water supply. since then I've have three more of my younger birds die. I went into the coop & apparently my broody hen hatched her babies in the last 12 hours as well. So I immediately washed my hands & moved mom & new babies to another area. I got them medicated started feel but I'm so scared they are going to die being born in the middle of a "pandemic". Help!Any advice is wonderful! I've owned chickens for three years and have NEVER had problems until this week& im freaking out.

thank you! would you even dose the chicks that just hatched yesterday?
Please post some photos of chicks, housing and poop.

You mention a "newer" chick was found dead and that you have lost 3 more? How old are these "newer" chicks? Where did they come from and are they just with adults or a broody hen?
Have you noticed any symptoms from the "newer" chicks like huddling/hunched or fluffed up, not eating/drinking, lethargy, etc.?

Giving Corid won't hurt your adult hens or the chicks. Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp per gallon of water and Powdered Corid dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

As for the chicks that hatched yesterday and are with a broody - I wouldn't treat with Corid at this time.

Back
Top Bottom