Babies making "nests" ???

thegreypony

Songster
10 Years
Mar 6, 2009
Metropolitan McLeansville
New to the chicken game. We picked up 9, 2 wk old chicks this past Saturday: 4 Ameracanas, 3 Australorps, and 2 Barred Rocks. We got them from a very knowledgable man who is part of the American Livestock Breed Conservancy. He was so helpful but I'm loving this board and hoping that someone can tell me if this silly chick behavior I'm seeing is normal.

One of the Ameracana chicks - a GIANT quail colored bird that I hope is a pullet - has taken to scratching out a bowl in the pine shavings before going to sleep. She makes a big production out of this, circling and sifting and sorting the shavings...looks like a dog making a nest! A couple of other chicks will usually take great interest in this and stand by waiting to plop down beside her once she's completed construction. Once she's nestled into her bowl, the other 2 snuggle in next to her. No one else is engaging in this craziness...I'm assuming it's normal but it sure looks weird for someone so tiny to be building a bed. Normal?? TIA

Check the brooder temp, it may be too warm. I find they burrow down to stay cool. Sometimes they just like to "dust" a little before taking a nap too, so maybe everything's ok. Just good to be sure.

That must be dust-bathing. One of mine is into it, and he is only a week old. If they look like they're having a good time, it is dust bathing.

Back
Top Bottom