Babies outside for the first night

There is HWC on the windows, the gable openings, and the eve openings. The coop is 2 ft off the ground with HW cloth around the bottom that is "open" under it and an apron around it. So all spots are sealed up very tight. I am in MA so while we may have garden snakes that is about it as far as slithery things. haahaa. oh and tree frogs :) so I feel the coop is very secure.
That sounds perfect! You can rest assured then. I was so worried about my little chicks the first wk or so, I woke up before sunrise and rushed out to check on them. Those little chick babies have a way of working their way deep into our hearts ♥️

There is HWC on the windows, the gable openings, and the eve openings. The coop is 2 ft off the ground with HW cloth around the bottom that is "open" under it and an apron around it. So all spots are sealed up very tight. I am in MA so while we may have garden snakes that is about it as far as slithery things. haahaa. oh and tree frogs :) so I feel the coop is very secure.
I'm about to install the apron on my new coop, thinking it was secure. Could you tell more about your apron and the digging the things did?
I put an apron around my coop, but it wasn’t the way I wanted it to be. I had huge roots that made it impossible to dig 2’ down, which was how deep I was told the skirt should be. I decided to build my structure, then I dug the area of my floor in the structure (coop) and then I attached 1/4” h.w. cloth, with a staple gun, from side to side then front to back. After that, I put back the dirt. It has worked well. I’m not always sure what attempts to get my chicks, but they dig a mean hole! I’m confident nothing will dig their way in, unless they have wire cutters!!

Thank you. I see a difference in the way terms are used. I would call going down including below ground level, a "skirt" but I think some would use that for only the above ground part... like if between ground level and the bottom of a raised coop. I think of "apron" as horizontal and usually laying on top of the ground. I think the terms might not be firmly defined.

The important part to me is that I've never seen a report of the horizontal method failing if it can be installed fully. Several digging species will follow a barrier down quite a long way and some will dig horizontally quite a long way after they dig down. But they don't follow a barrier out from a wall to find the end of it to start digging down before digging horizontally. They physically could; they just don't. If there is a scenario that it fails, I want to know what it is.

Again, thank you!

They seem ok. I am a nervous wreck!!! They are 6 weeks been off heat inside for 2 weeks. It is going to get down to 49 tonight. They should be fine right??? It is only 830 and I have already checked them twice. right now all the windows are open ( covered with HWC). Should I block the windows??
YEY! They are so beautiful and look so happy. Nice coop :thumbsup

🐥❤️

really jealous of that run and coop. I'm starting to get a bit behind here. Still got a 3 month old cockerel indoors that has started crowing every morning now but the weather has been horrible.
Not sure how others are faring but its so wet and horrible here at the moment and I need to finish 3 more coops still by summer.
Funny thing is I sent a recording of my cockerel to my family this morning. Response I got was " can't hear anything" which is good as my neighbours told me just a week ago they don't want to get woken by no cockerel.

really jealous of that run and coop. I'm starting to get a bit behind here. Still got a 3 month old cockerel indoors that has started crowing every morning now but the weather has been horrible.
Not sure how others are faring but its so wet and horrible here at the moment and I need to finish 3 more coops still by summer.
Funny thing is I sent a recording of my cockerel to my family this morning. Response I got was " can't hear anything" which is good as my neighbours told me just a week ago they don't want to get woken by no cockerel.
Omg it is so much work!!!! We have been lucky and for the most part have had decent weather on weekends but it has been about 7 weeks we have been working on it and it still isn't complete. But it is getting close at least

Back
Top Bottom