Babies under my broody!!

shellybean40

Songster
13 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Boerne, TX
My broody has 4 little peeps under her. There are 3 more eggs, and I moved them under another broody since this one left the nest for these peeps. I have a few questions:

Today was day 21. How much longer should I wait on the other 3 eggs before I abandon hope?

Will my Broody Mama really be able to protect these chicks from the rest of my flock? I have a pretty mean alpha hen, and she is already pacing back and forth in front of my broody cage.
somad.gif

When the Mama lets the chicks go on their own, at 3-4 weeks of age, will they be considered part of the flock and not be killed? I have only used a brooder before and I am really nervous.

Thanks so much for all of your help.

I would gently lift each egg to your ear and listen for peeping. This last hatch, I had chicks hatch 2 whole days after the first ones. When I lifted the egg, the chick inside would peep like crazy and mama would get all clucky. The nice thing about broodies, is you don't have to worry about messing up your humidity
big_smile.png
. Give the eggs at least a day or two more.

Mama broody will definitely protect her babies. I usually leave mama and the chicks in the "brooder cage" for a week or so before letting them into the run with everyone else. My current mama is near the bottom of the pecking order and she manages to keep all the other birds cowering on the other side of the run. She's gotten into several fights with hens who have gotten too close. The rooster has had to break a couple of them up. I think most of my other hens have decided that getting close to her is just not worth the trouble.

My broodies seem to mother the chicks for about 6 weeks. The other birds accept them as part of the flock, albeit the bottom of the pecking order. They don't try to hurt the youngsters, but will give them a good peck if they are getting too big for their britches, ie: trying to perch on the main roost or eating before the others.

Good luck and post pictures!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom