1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Babies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fairys84, Sep 1, 2013.

1. fairys84

fairys84 New Egg

Sep 1, 2013
    Washington
    I have a question that might seem like a no brainer for most of u but for me well I'm new at this so I need a little help!! I have 2 baby chicks that just hatched and well I didn't think they where going to surprise lol. They r so cute but I have no feed for them and I took them and put them in a box with a heat lamp I am going to boil a egg and give them the yolk intel I can get to a store tomorrow.as i think one baby is a day old. Should I have taken them away from there mom the reason I ask is because I had first look earlier there where three then when I went back one was dead. I never touched them intel I seen one dead I thought mom maybe squashed it do they do this?? Should I worry??

2. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

It is completely possible the chick was accidentally squished. It unfortunately happens sometimes. Chicks do not need to eat for 2-3 days after hatching and are perfectly fine on the absorbed yolk sack alone. No need to panic about feeding them, just make sure you get chick starter.

[​IMG] on the heat lamp. Make sure they have an area not covered by the lamp so they do not overheat. Chicks straining away from the light are too hot, huddled up are too cold.

When you provide water, you should put aquarium pebbles or the likes to prevent them from drowning. Chicks can drown in remarkably shallow water.

3. fairys84

fairys84 New Egg

Sep 1, 2013
    Washington
    Thank u I was kind of freaking out earlier lol. This helps a lot

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Bugglesmommy gave you good advice. Are there any more eggs that haven't hatched yet?

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! You got some good advice here. Enjoy your chicks!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, fairys84, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! I agree with the above advice. Good luck and best wishes!

7. fairys84

fairys84 New Egg

Sep 1, 2013
    Washington
    @drumstick diva, have 14 eggs I'm assuming some are not fertile got 2 more babies this morning but if they all hatch that's fine to.
    I really want to no if I can leave the babies with the mom?? Thanks for the nice welcome on this page everyone!!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Once all viable eggs have hatched, remove the duds and put the chicks back under the hen in the evening. Hens do a grand job of raising chicks - look at how long chickens have existed.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by