baby almost froze to death, urgent hand raising question

cochinGurl

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
bellingham
Update: Thank you so much for the info veryone, I've adjusted the heat in the brooder (had him a little too hot) this morning I checked on him and he had emptied his crop yay! Just now gave him his first meal, full crop of pigeon seed soaked overnight and warmed up, ate like a champ. Looking like he's going to make it:)

Can some one experienced with hand raising help me out with some info? I am unexpectedly hand raising a ten day old baby. I found him almost frozen to death this morning, his nest mate had already died. he was barely breathing, ice cold, eyes closed and couldn't raise his head. Now about 4 hours later he is warm, squeaking and has pooped twice. I have not fed him since he hasn't emptied his crop yet. I did give him a little very warm water because i was worried about dehydration. ive hand raised before but its been a long time and I forget exactly what temperature to keep them. What is the safe temperature range? i have searched and searched but most people just say "warm" but exactly how warm? I would greatly appreciate any advice on temp, and how best to help him recover from almost freezing. Thanks for reading.</p>

Last edited:
I keep my brooder 95° at hatch and slowly decrease. That is with a heat lamp at one end of the brooder. If the chicks get too warm they can move to the other end to cool off. At 10 days old I would think you need that same setup starting at 95°.

thanks so much for the info, very helpful since i was keeping him a bit to hot, around 103 degrees F. lowering his temp now

I also keep mine at 95 at hatch and first week. Then decrease by five degrees each week. Since he has a bit of a rough start and is by himself I might go slower with reducing the temp. God bless you and your little chick! Glad you were able to rescue him :):):)

Can some one experienced with hand raising help me out with some info? I am unexpectedly hand raising a ten day old baby. I found him almost frozen to death this morning.
In a perfect world having the squab and its parents in an area near room temperature would be the easy solution.
A heat or brooder lamp in an area where the squab could stand off or get closer to direct heat would solve part of your problem
(always have two means of support on the fixture one a safety chain for fire prevention)
This time of year most fanciers have their sexes in separate confines until mid February or later.

Check out this link
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Hand+raising+squabs

Last edited:
I thought we were talking about chickens! Sorry
hmm.png
Hope he does well!

If its cold where you are, put it under a light in a nest of straw, but not too hot. Order pigeon, parrot...etc. baby powder food and mix w water. Get a bottle with a long neck, cut a 2 inch rubber(from Playtex gloves) and tape it to the bottle. Mix chicken chick food w water and stick the Playtex part down his gullet, past the air hole, and fill his crop. If you get it down his air hole, he will die. Get it past that, into the crop, and fill him up. It works. Baby pigeon, parrot...etc...powdered food works.

Pigeons doves parrots hookbills aways UST did great in ten gallon tank with raised grate on bottom, heat pad on low wrapped like tunnel pup tent etc either under also for heat or not (low temp heat setting so birds snuggle under like warm body and wings), n just easy clean rag/dish towel etc paper towels, towel over top of homemade brooder. You could use bedding underneath as well.
If baby days old already you can just feed pigeons watery layer pellet each in pop cap of warm water till couple weeks old then just moistened layer pellet put down along its right side of throat. Matter exact and manna pro work too should come with soft pipit for feeding though pigeons will learn fast to eat out of corner of bag in cupped hand fast.

Back
Top Bottom