baby broken leg, please help

nizar

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 10, 2011
I have my own homemade incubator, four days ago when I was sleeping I heard loud voice of one of chick which was piping, I was so sleepy, I put It in the hatching , in morning I check it , I saw a disaster , broken leg , I don't know how, my wife and aunt tide its broken leg after two day there was no development,
106200_2.jpg

106200_1.jpg

106200_3.jpg

could anybody help,
I think its leg set in a wrong place, and it can't walk.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I can't help you as I've had no experience with this. I wasn't able to view your pictures. I do suggest that you repost this on the "Emergencies" topics. You'll get some help there. This may be a situation you will not be able to remedy but it is worth a try. Good luck to you and your little chick.

Last edited:
Cant post a picture here until you've made 10 posts but you can upload a picture to somewhere like photobucket and link it, and it will show.

If it's legs are sticking out the wrong way it may not be broken, but something we call Spraddle leg. You can use a bandaid and splint it by sort of tying the legs together above the hock joint so they and the bandaid make an H. Then it will be able to walk and after a few days be just fine.

I had a chick develop a leg problem too. It was probably my fault - my first brooder was slippery plastic under the shavings. I put an old towel down first and had no further problems. Mine displaced an Achilles tendon and the leg was sticking straight out, usually to the side. Is that spraddle leg? When I gently palpated the leg I could feel the tendon slip back into place and tried to hold it with a small duct-tape tube for a week. Unfortunately the tendon slipped back out and after two attempts I gave up. Good luck.

I know what is Spraddle leg , it isn't it, one of it leg had broken and hurt it to much.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you can do anything for your chick after 2 days. it needed to be set right when it happened. but here is a link that may give you some ideas on how to help. you know chickens can live with just one leg, but your little one does look like it has swelling and discoloration so not sure if anything can be done, but saying that, there is always hope so read these posts and maybe you can help you chick.. all the best. https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...com/forum/post.php?tid=569695&qid=7380913#892

ive had a chick with ? spraddle leg for the past week..was fine and woke up I thought its leg was broken?? from research spraddle is what were hoping...search on this site for spraddle leg there is a great post from someone illrestrating on what to do...taping the legs together essentially..for up to 2 weeks..etc..good luck;)

she still waiting help
106200_6.jpg

should I bandaging her little leg or not.

If there is an open wound, clean that up first and put some antibiotic ointment on it.
I don't know much about broken legs but if its not set already, try and hold it straight, bandage and splint it with a wooden lolly stick - the type you get in frozen ice lollies and bandage or tape it firmly. Not too tight as you don't want want to cut off circulation but not so loose that it doesn't hold the leg straight. Make sure the stick isn't longer than the leg - you may have to cut it to size, and also make sure it has some padding between the stick and the leg so it doesn't rub her raw. As chicks grow so quick, you may have to replace this every week but hopefully after 2 weeks it should be set. Good luck, I hope she recovers.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom