Baby Buckeye rooster or hen

It isn’t. It has the wrong comb type. Which hatchery?
I think I’ll reserve naming the hatchery for now until I find out more. If they aren’t buckeyes then I want to give them a chance to remedy that before posting their name here. However, they looked exactly like the photos on the site when they were chicks and exactly like these from another thread Buckeye chicks same dotted feathers and everything. With that being said, I suspect that baby chicken has some issues from being so tiny and not walking right, etc.

I hope not. We wanted buckeyes and got these and the Easter Eggers specifically because they were cold tolerant and we live in the mountains in Flagstaff which is higher elevation than Denver. It’s not unusual to get several feet of snow in the winter. I‘ll keep an eye on him and also contact the hatchery. Thanks 😊

ps. I waited 6 months for them to be shipped so I hope they are all what I ordered.

I think I’ll reserve naming the hatchery for now until I find out more. If they aren’t buckeyes then I want to give them a chance to remedy that before posting their name here. However, they looked exactly like the photos on the site when they were chicks and exactly like these from another thread Buckeye chicks same dotted feathers and everything. With that being said, I suspect that baby chicken has some issues from being so tiny and not walking right, etc.
It is the comb. Buckeyes are separated from other brown breeds like RIR and New Hampshire by their pea comb. The chicks in the thread you mentioned have pea combs.
B35A7584-D21C-44FA-BAD4-90912CE18E32.jpeg

Yours has a single comb, like a RIR.
EE8CDBB9-33E7-4F44-9634-FE72CEE4F97A.jpeg

It is the comb. Buckeyes are separated from other brown breeds like RIR and New Hampshire by their pea comb. The chicks in the thread you mentioned have pea combs.View attachment 2240440
Yours has a single comb, like a RIR.View attachment 2240899
Thanks. I’ll contact the hatchery. I’m new to this so its hard for me to see the difference between my little guy and the chick behind the one you circled. I’ll be upset if they re not buckeyes because that is what we researched. I appreciate your help.

Thanks. I’ll contact the hatchery. I’m new to this so its hard for me to see the difference between my little guy and the chick behind the one you circled. I’ll be upset if they re not buckeyes because that is what we researched. I appreciate your help.
Can you post pics of the others? I hope you at least got a few true ones with pea combs.

Back
Top Bottom