Baby bunnies dieing, please help.

The heat lamp is necessary because they are kept in our shed and I live in Newfoundland, we have snow right now.

Trust me when I say, if you rabbit has been living in this shed all this time, she does not need a heat lamp. Rabbits do very poorly when overheated and they most certainly will with a winter coat and a heat lamp. The babies are and should be under a pile of rabbit down and stay very toasty under there, but could die from being overheated if this toastiness was compounded with a heat lamp.

Newfoundland or not, rabbits are basically the same the world over...they adapt to their environment by developing thicker coats.​

Just an update, the bunny is doing fine so far, we fed her kitten milk replacer with a puppy bottle and we rub her belly with a warm cotton ball after every feeding to help her poop and pee, we read this was a good thing to do. We feed her twice a day and we think she is going to be fine.
We think it is a female and we named her Stella, she is staying at my boyfriend's house until she gets old enough to live with the other bunnies, we made a nest box with hay and fluffy stuff we bought from the pet store, and there is no additional heat.
Thanks for helpful info everyone.
Wish me luck.
smile.png

Last edited:
we raised some abandoned wild bunnies on kitten milk replacer and they did great. If you have a scale and can weigh the baby in grams each time before you feed you can get an idea if she is gaining. Sounds like momma bunny didnt know what to do and may not have had milk. But sitting in the box all day with them is not right. Mom bunnies only go in twice a day to feed and otherwise they stay out of the box. Its pretty common for first time moms and some rabbits are just poor moms every time through and cannot raise a litter. Good luck with your little baby I hope she makes it.

Bringing them in at night or adding a heat lamp as long as its not too close and burning anyone can be very helpful if the mom is able to care for the babies, I have done both with very good success when its been cold. I also disturb the nest and take out each baby and take out momma each day to check and make sure all is well as long as momma is a well socialized bunny and didnt mind having hands in her cage in first place I have never had issues with a bunny rejecting her litter or even showing any signs of distress. Sometimes Ill trade babies for a good treat like cilantro and that seems to make mommas day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom