Baby Bunny Questions

crazyfeathers

Songster
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Auburndale, Wi
Hi,
My mini rex had 3 babies yesterday and I have a few questions. Every time I go into the barn she is not by the babies, mind you this is only 2 to 3 times a day. Their nest is full of hair and feel warm, it is in the 30 degree area. How often do mama rabbits feed their babies? How soon do they get hair? Is it natural for mama to spend time away from the babies? We are rural folks and plan on giving the babies to some deserving 4-H children (gotta have a plan). Thank you for any responses, we are more chicken-goat-pig people.

Are the babies in the nest or are they scattered around the cage? If they are in the nest they are likely ok. It's been a few years since I raised rabbits, but I remember the mama wasn't always in the nest. If she wasn't taking care if them they'd likely not be all in one spot.

Mother rabbits only feed their bunnies 1-2 times per day, and you may never see this happen. That's fine. Just check the babies daily to make sure their tummies are full and round - if the bunnies look shriveled and wrinkled and/or they feel cold but are still alive, the mom probably isn't feeding them, but that's pretty rare.

30 degrees should be fine for bunnies as long as they have plenty of fur in the nest on top of them. Bunnies grow more fur every day, and in a few days you should be able to feel a little fuzz on them. By the time they are 10-14 days old, they won't be naked anymore but will still need the fur on top of them.

In my experience, mother rabbits pretty much ignore the babies as best they can all the time. There isn't much affection between a mother rabbit and her young.

Best of luck (and make sure to give us some pictures!)

Thanks for the information Dutchgirl. I appreciate that you took the time to respond. I will check babies daily and like you said they are covered in mamas fur. Good to know about their feeding schedule. Will get pics in a few days as not to disrupt mama.. Thanks:D

All 6 of her babies were pushed out of the nest and deceased :(. Two more of my rabbits had babies so hopefully they will fair better than the first ones did.

Back
Top Bottom