baby calls

sweeetpea92

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 19, 2015
I have nine baby calls that are 3 weeks old i know they cant go out with the bigger ones yet but i am a little worried when they do. I have five older ones that dont like new comers. I just got two 8 week olds and they are not getting along with the other 5 will this change? Is there anything i can do to help when i have to bring new calls in to my pen? The babies will be going in there soon and i hate to see them get picked on

I have nine baby calls that are 3 weeks old i know they cant go out with the bigger ones yet but i am a little worried when they do. I have five older ones that dont like new comers. I just got two 8 week olds and they are not getting along with the other 5 will this change? Is there anything i can do to help when i have to bring new calls in to my pen? The babies will be going in there soon and i hate to see them get picked on
Not only can they get picked on ruthlessly but can be killed or made sick from stress. You should separate your different ages by using temporary fencing the plastic poultry fencing from Lowes works great Let them all live side by side for as long as needed might be 2 weeks could be a month or more but this way they see each other daily and can get use to each other presence. Once the 3 weeks olds are larger start letting them have time together for treats when you can be there to supervise , as you watch you'll know when it is safe for all to be together and you can take down temp fencing.

Treat? What is a treat from them i have never given any treats
You haven't given treats? what are you inhumane lol treats well mine love dried meal worms and they are very special treats. they work well for when your working on getting new members into the flock because once you put them out on the ground they have idea anyone else is there they are so busy scarfing up the worms. Little English peas thawed ,
smashed for ducklings but older ducklings and adults can have them whole tossed into pool or water dish or on the ground. That is 2 favs here. Try this approach and see how it works with yours.

I will have to try this i guess i kind of have done treats i buy them small fish every other payday they love that

O i know i just never thought of it has a treat i thought of it as ducks eat fish didnt know they could have peas tho

O i know i just never thought of it has a treat i thought of it as ducks eat fish didnt know they could have peas tho
Most ducks love the little green English peas you buy frozen, I usually let mine sit out in the frig for a day then feed them when thawed you can also thaw them in the microwave. toss some in their pool mine go nuts for them even my geese and chickens love them.

Back
Top Bottom