Baby chick attacked

Kelseyycole

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2022
I had a hen hatch out one egg about a week ago. Everything has been fine, she was protecting the chick, everyone was getting along fine. My chickens free range. But today one of my other hens attacked the baby! It has a wound on its back that's bleeding. I set up a brooder to put the baby in, and tried putting momma in there with it, but she won't stay in the brooder with the chick. I don't think she realizes baby is in there before she freaks out and flies out. But then when she hears baby peeping she freaks out trying to find it. I didn't want to separate baby from momma, but I have no way of forcing momma to stay in the bin with the baby. Will this end up being okay? Will momma relax and forget about the baby at some point? I'm just so sad, I wanted her to raise the baby herself because now I'm going to have to try and reintegrate the baby once it's big enough

Will this end up being okay
Not if you put the baby back in. Experience says that once a hen is aggressive toward another's baby, she will always be this way. Usually happens to the babies of hens who are lower on the pecking order.

It is sad, but momma will get over not having her chick there in short order. Id suggest going to the feed store and grabbing another to keep them company and safely brood them.

The mom will peck the blood and injure the baby further unless you add blu-kote to mask the red color of blood. But blu-kote should only be used on superficial wounds, not deep ones. And first the wound needs to be cleaned with saline or hibicens (hydrogen peroxide is OK for initial cleaning if that's all you have), then medicated with triple antibiotic ointment without painkiller, veterycin gel spray, or something similiar. How bad is the chick's wound? The first thing to do is tend to that, then worry about getting mom and chick reunited. They need a separate, secure living area, otherwise yes, other hens will likely reinjure the chick.

Back
Top Bottom