Baby chick cannot get on its feet, is it normal?

AseelMurgha

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2021
So today in the morning I went inside chicken room and saw hen pecking the egg right in front of my eyes and a chick came out. I saw another chick who appears to be dead. It's body is lying in the corner.
There are three more eggs which are not hatched yet. Today is 21st day and the hen came back and sat on those three eggs.
All this happened about hour and half ago. The newly born chick is in the cage laying sideways. Like in fetal position. He is breathing and is making noises. What do I do now? Shall I wait for it to get on its feet and then provide food and water?

Can you please provide some photos of where the Mama hen is brooding her chicks? Is she in her own space or cage?

Sounds like you may have a stressed out Mama. Some hens are good at sitting, but will kill chicks as they hatch.

You need to check the chick that is lying in the corner, if it's dead, remove it.
The one that is laying sideways, can you examine it to see if has injuries? If it does, then you may need to brood the chicks yourself. Be ready when the others hatch and take them from the hen. Provide heat, food and water.

This one is alive.

20220228_093314.jpg

This one is dead
20220228_093321.jpg

Close up of alive one. How long before it gets on its feet?
20220228_093338.jpg

It doesn't look like it's going to get up on it's own and may not make it. Watch your hen, is she killing the chicks when they hatch?.

You need to take the chick, look it over for injuries. Hard to tell, but it looks like it has some injury along the back. You need to provide the chick with some heat and give it drops of sugar water.

Wait a few day's.
I have had a chick come out crippled so to speak, this could be caused by a malfunction while the chick is in the early stages of development.
The crippled chick I had was carefully raised and he is still alive today!
He is a very good rooster although has a bit of a temper Haha... But anyway the chick may be crippled or he/she will learn to walk in the coming day's.

I placed it near stove since morning and it seems that the guy is feeling much better now. He is moving around and making noises.
I want to ask shall I give him sugar water now or wait? I saw video on YT where a guy was saying dont give anything to them for first 48 hours?

Here's short video of chick I made.

The little guy died sometime last night. He was alive and well at 1am when I checked up on him but found him dead at 6am today. Gave him some sugar water and tried to feed him chicken feed at 1am but he didn't eat much as he is very young and doesn't know how to eat yet. Seems like he died of cold because the heating bulb placed inside his box got fused and was off when I checked up on him at 6am.

chick.jpg

Back
Top Bottom