baby chick extremely cuddly?

pinestamara

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
hi, my older chick seems to always wanna be with me, she cries out for me to come and cuddle with her daily.
she hates being in her tote, even if its really nice and cozy in there, baby 2 doesnt like cuddles as much as velvet does.

is she just cuddly or does she only feel safe with me? i’ve noticed she panics if anyone else handles her, even if they’re holding her the correct way.

she never lets out happy chirps unless shes with me, does she think i’m her mom? whenever i put her down she follows me around and starts chirping very loud if she cant find me

Yeah, birds imprint readily. You probably had her at just the right age for it to happen. I'm not sure what to do about it. Maybe if you gently encourage her to be with the other chick, she'll start wanting to be with her, too.

It obviously isn't ideal for this to happen (as you already know by now, I'm sure), but she will most likely be very friendly to you when you when you are older, which is a silver lining. I had a salmon faverolle who imprinted on me some when she got injured in the brooder, and so even now I can pick her up easily to massage her crop, or whatever I am doing with the chickens.

hi, my older chick seems to always wanna be with me, she cries out for me to come and cuddle with her daily.
she hates being in her tote, even if its really nice and cozy in there, baby 2 doesnt like cuddles as much as velvet does.

is she just cuddly or does she only feel safe with me? i’ve noticed she panics if anyone else handles her, even if they’re holding her the correct way.

she never lets out happy chirps unless shes with me, does she think i’m her mom? whenever i put her down she follows me around and starts chirping very loud if she cant find me
Yeah sounds like she looks to you as her momma that will keep her warm and protected. I had to bring in some eggs my broody hen abandoned and incubate them and they now cheep a LOT wishing they were with me instead of in their brooder. One thing that has helped is the fake feathers I got to hang around the heat plate they warm under. If you are on a tight budget, I’ve seen people offer the babies a feather duster that hangs just high enough to hide under and feel warmer and safer. Might consider it since you can’t be with baby every minute! ❤️

Cute pictures of chicks are required. Because if you don't members feel deprived of cuteness. Is velvet getting big and getting adult feathers?

Back
Top Bottom