baby chick eyes

alaina

Chirping
8 Years
May 4, 2011
North middle TN
Having some eye trouble with my new baby chicks. Noticed that one eye on several different newly hatched chicks looks like the eye lid is shut all the time, and somewhat larger than it should be. The chicks hatched Aug. 18th thru 21st. I did not see the problem then. One of the older chicks that hatched in June also has an eye problem, but was also stunted, she is a lavendar ameraucana, and one of the new chicks is also (that is the only one that hatched out of this batch) but the others are all BR's, from my own eggs, not shipped, and not a rare breed... none of the guineas are affected. Wondering if this is an infection, or a birth (hatch) defect I just missed at hatch time? I caught one chick and tried to pull the eye lid open, but it wont open, the chick acted like it was in pain, so I quit. I'll try to get some good pics later today if I can. Any help appreciated!!

hu.gif

Hello! Beautiful horse in your avatar!

Anyhow, if the eye was shut when it hatched and never opened, then that could be a birth defect. Not sure if you can fix that...You may have to cull. If the eye is pasted shut with some kind of eye "drainage" or eye goop, then it could be an illness.

There is some eye ointment that comes in a tube that you can buy at the farm store, and you could try some antibiotics to help clear that up, incase it's an infection.....A real good antibiotic is Tylan, and it's a powder you put in their drinking water.

Good luck to you!

Hi Chicmom, thanks!

I had a tube of opthalmic antibiotic ointment, originally for my cat, so I put a little on each chicks infected (I think) eye, there are 4. They did well, when I put it on, but after a few mins after turning them loose, they started peeping and scratching at/rubbing their eyes. Will put some more on tomorrow, and see if there is any improvement. Tried to take photos, all turned out pretty blurry as I was really close.

Back
Top Bottom