TDubz

Chirping
Aug 11, 2023
So I'm raising Sophie, a bonded house chick, and I've noticed some possible concerns with her eyesight and hearing... But maybe she's just stubborn... Haha

She is 3 weeks old today.

Since the first week, it seems if I get too far away from her, even though I'll be calling her name and making a loud kissing noise (my call for her to come), she doesn't seem to see or hear me. I'll see her looking around, calling for me, even looking in my direction with her left eye (I believe this is the one better at distance? At first I thought the issue was she was using her right eye but now I've confirmed it's the same with both), but she acts like I'm not there. Today she even went to far as to run further away to the cover of some bushes.

Is this normal? Or is she just being her typical sassy-princess self and expecting me to come to her? The distance at which it appears to be an issue is ~10+ feet... This is mainly outside but also sometimes inside.

So I'm raising Sophie, a bonded house chick, and I've noticed some possible concerns with her eyesight and hearing... But maybe she's just stubborn... Haha

Since the first week, it seems if I get too far away from her, even though I'll be calling her name and making a loud kissing noise (my call for her to come), she doesn't seem to see or hear me. I'll see her looking around, calling for me, even looking in my direction with her left eye (I believe this is the one better at distance? At first I thought the issue was she was using her right eye but now I've confirmed it's the same with both), but she acts like I'm not there. Today she even went to far as to run further away to the cover of some bushes.

Is this normal? Or is she just being her typical sassy-princess self and expecting me to come to her? The distance at which it appears to be an issue is ~10+ feet... This is mainly outside but also sometimes inside.
Could u post a picture of Sophie please? Close up on her eyes...

Could u post a picture of Sophie please? Close up on her eyes...
I can try 😂
Let me know if any of these work/help. If not I'll try to get a good flash on her.

Attachments

• 20230814_232118.jpg
    20230814_232118.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230814_102429_HDR.jpg
    20230814_102429_HDR.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230813_133833_HDR.jpg
    20230813_133833_HDR.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230812_225419.jpg
    20230812_225419.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 6
The pic of her laying on keyboard is 2 freaking cute. I raised a blind quail but it doesn't look like Sophie is blind...unsure tho.
Thanks for taking a look. I don't think she's blind as she sees things like a dog leash dragging and squaks and runs (I think it looks like a snake?). It's the distance that she's funny with, but from what I've read they're supposed to have great distance vision, at least in the sky?

Last edited:

She's so cute! I have a Macaw Parrot named Sophie, so of course, love that name.

I doubt your Sophie is blind or deaf. Probably just too young yet to respond as well to you, but she will get better at it in time.

Back
Top Bottom