Baby chick foot was all caught up and I don’t think it’s bumblefoot. Please help!

Erika518

Hatching
Aug 16, 2021
6175DB46-215C-4091-9DAA-E05E9EF488C5.png
I found her foot all caught in large grass. I heard her crying when I got home from work. I got herfoot Out. I soaked her foot in epson salt for 10mins and gently massaged her. What else can I do? I have her separated and in the house in a brooder. She is a showgirl 5weeks old

Attachments

• B863FE6C-504C-43BA-9289-705CDFF8D758.jpeg
    B863FE6C-504C-43BA-9289-705CDFF8D758.jpeg
    409 KB · Views: 15
Not sure what your question is. The foot looks pretty good. What happened to the chick's foot that's at issue?
Definitely something wrong. Foot was all caught in long grass. I had a broody hen that adopted my silkies and her. I noticed she was missing and found her. Her foot was tangled. Now it’s swollen. This pic from yesterday after I found her and cleaned her up.

Attachments

• B4D8A34A-DD84-4942-A0C0-C112A3676DE9.jpeg
    B4D8A34A-DD84-4942-A0C0-C112A3676DE9.jpeg
    351.9 KB · Views: 9
Look for a hair or string, but it could have been the grass wrapped around the ankle that caused the swelling. You could try some Epsom salts warm soaks for the foot once a day for several days. Look to make sure nothing is still wrapped around. Hopefully, moving around and the soaking will help the circulation improve.

Look for a hair or string, but it could have been the grass wrapped around the ankle that caused the swelling. You could try some Epsom salts warm soaks for the foot once a day for several days. Look to make sure nothing is still wrapped around. Hopefully, moving around and the soaking will help the circulation improve.
Ok thank you. 🙏

Well it is swollen. I had sometime similar happen but with wire I did warm compresses and a few epsom salt foot baths for mine and tried to keep her in a smaller pen for a few days. check to make sure nothing is in her foot or still wrapped around if it does not get better in a few days and gets worse you will need to take her to a vet. poor girl (or is it a boy?)

Ok thank you. 🙏
Eggcessive beat me to it, but I think your chick will be fine, especially if she's using it and did, in fact, just get stuck for a bit. You might also treat for shock, however, since a bird can sort of "give up" if they feel like they're caught with no escape for too long.

If it were ours, I'd be sure that she's eating and drinking, but give her a quiet place to recover for a few days with some visits by her hatchmates and "mother" during that time...

Back
Top Bottom