Baby Chick Fox Attack

Glad to see she's feeling better. Beautiful/cute chick BTW!
Thank you. We lost all but 2 hens and 1 rooster in recent predator attacks before we reinforced and restructured the run on the coop, so we are currently in rebuilding mode, incubating eggs as soon as our Australorp and Barred Rock lay them. Thankfully my indoor Partridge Silkie roo and hen are very nurturing and broody, so they "parent" the chicks until they are big enough to move outside. My Silkies refuse to participate in outside life and choose to play dead whenever they are put outside in any fashion, so they have run of our sunroom/my office. I have never had birds like them before.

She probably was in shock. If you can get some Veterycin wound and skin care spray that would be good to use on the punctures to make sure they are clean. You can also flush them with sterile saline and use plain neosporin. Hopefully she has no internal injuries, but she may be bruised so may take a few days for her to really get back to normal.
Ditto, ditto, ditto on the hardware cloth rather than chicken wire. Chicken wire keeps chickens in but does NOT keep predators out. Your fox will very likely be back, so securing your birds should be a priority so you don't lose more.

Update - She is up and running/limping around like before. She is still indoors with our Partridge Silkie hen and roo until she is back to full health, but she is definitely getting back to normal. We treated the bites by washing them out with saline and treating them with antibiotic ointment. She has also been enjoying naps in our lap and tons of cuddles. Thanks for all of the wonderful advice. We have added additional reinforcement to the run and coop to keep the critters out, so here's hoping that we have future protection against the foxes.

Back
Top Bottom