Baby chick gender

karint

Songster
May 24, 2019
So I’ve been told you can tell the gender of my chicks based on the dot on their head. What does everyone think?

Attachments

• AC6071E6-2FF1-4812-B497-3065B75A8704.jpeg
    AC6071E6-2FF1-4812-B497-3065B75A8704.jpeg
    767 KB · Views: 12
They are supposed to be pure but I guess you don’t always know. I’m just looking to add a few more birds to my barn.

They all look alike to me. If they are supposed to be already-sexed and the same gender, that is a good sign. If they are supposed to be straight run (mix of sexes), then it probably means they cannot be easily sexed by their head spot.

Because of the way the barring gene works in purebred Barred Rocks and similar breeds, males end up lighter than females. That typically means a bigger head spot, lighter skin on the shanks and feet, and more white in the feathers. But sometimes the differences are very obvious, and sometimes they are not.

They all look alike to me. If they are supposed to be already-sexed and the same gender, that is a good sign. If they are supposed to be straight run (mix of sexes), then it probably means they cannot be easily sexed by their head spot.

Because of the way the barring gene works in purebred Barred Rocks and similar breeds, males end up lighter than females. That typically means a bigger head spot, lighter skin on the shanks and feet, and more white in the feathers. But sometimes the differences are very obvious, and sometimes they are not.
They were straight run. There is one I hope might be a female but I’m starting to doubt.

Back
Top Bottom