Baby chick has a hole/scab on back

Ale_chick12

Hatching
Apr 7, 2024
Can anybody tell me what this might be and how to help her. She is also the smallest one in the group of 6.

Attachments

• IMG_3234.jpg
    IMG_3234.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 13
Some kind of wound, no telling, she may have been pecked, and once it was there it's probably drawing more attention. Chicks will peck at anything, especially red. I would clean it as well as you can with some chlorhexidine solution (hibiclens, any pharmacy will have it) and then apply some plain triple antibiotic ointment until it's healed up. You can use Qtips so you don't wet and chill the chick. You will need to be vigilant in watching to make sure the others don't peck it. If it's drawing attention you will have to separate this one until it heals enough to not be noticed anymore. Sometimes you can divide your brooder with a wire or screen, so they can still all see each other, but they can't get to the one you are protecting. If there is one or two chicks that don't bother this one, you can try grouping those, it can be very distressing to them to be alone. You will need to make sure they all have access to a heat source, so it all depends on your set up.

Some kind of wound, no telling, she may have been pecked, and once it was there it's probably drawing more attention. Chicks will peck at anything, especially red. I would clean it as well as you can with some chlorhexidine solution (hibiclens, any pharmacy will have it) and then apply some plain triple antibiotic ointment until it's healed up. You can use Qtips so you don't wet and chill the chick. You will need to be vigilant in watching to make sure the others don't peck it. If it's drawing attention you will have to separate this one until it heals enough to not be noticed anymore. Sometimes you can divide your brooder with a wire or screen, so they can still all see each other, but they can't get to the one you are protecting. If there is one or two chicks that don't bother this one, you can try grouping those, it can be very distressing to them to be alone. You will need to make sure they all have access to a heat source, so it all depends on your set up.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom