Baby chick has twisted beak...help!

Shogun99

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Las Cruces, NM
I noticed today that one of my chicks (now 2 weeks old) has a beak that has become crooked since he/she hatched. It doesn't seem sickly, but I don't know how it would eat...

I'm wondering what I should do with it and if it will survive. Should I give the little bugger a chance and let him/her try to thrive?

For the time being, I've named it..."Owen" (because Owen Wilson has a messed up Schnozz). If it turns out to be a hen, I might name her "Streisand".

I'd cull before he gets any older. I just had to cull one that started out not too bad, but got progressvely worse. It's the only crossbeak I've ever had. Next time at the first sign of it I'm culling. Much easier (on me) when they're small than when they get older.

If you search on here for crossed beak, you will find a number of threads with good info. I too have a (now 6week old) chick with a bottom beak that is completely off by about 45 degrees. Since it was having trouble eating, I took it to the vet who trimmed off part of the top beak and now it is doing alot better.

There is alot to take into consideration. Do you plan on using your birds for meat and eggs or just eggs? do you plan on hatching eggs?

I didn't cull mine because it showed a strong willed personality and determination to live.

These eggs I hatched myself and I didn't notice it until it got about a week old or so and it has since gotten worse.

I was selling some of my babies and the guy I sold them to wanted him crossbeak and all. He seemed pretty knowledgeable and guessed the breeds of my babies that I had to sell him which I though was pretty cool. I gave him the crossbeak one for a buck even though I wanted to keep him....didn't want him to die.

I think that the current owner wants to keep him/her for eggs but may turn em into stew later on.

Back
Top Bottom