Baby Chick Hatched Without Eyes

He or she looks good. If there’s eating and drinking, why not see how it goes? People have mixed thoughts about whether we should give a bird with special needs a chance or not. He or she does look healthy aside from the blindness. A companion is a good idea (as Weeg suggests). Don’t move the food and water…. against the wall like Lenny loves chickens suggested…. very important for him or her to get used to feeling his or her way to the same area. If you’re committed to giving this chick a chance, you may end up with a chicken that’s more special than you imagined. Good Wishes!

Since I’ve talked about my blind Turkey, I thought I’d share a photo. He lived for several years being quite spoiled by me. He learned to eat and drink on his own, but I also had to observe him closely and feed him myself to ensure he was getting the proper amount of food water and vitamins. He lived a good life. This photo was taken after he’d fed himself. I would need to clean him up after, because eating was messy!
281EFC55-E671-451B-B072-F4E1E44E117A.jpeg

I recently got an ISA Brown pullet who was hatched without eyes. I have never had or raised chickens before but am very interested and willing to learn because i have hope of raising this chick to live a long happy life. I have a set up for her with a brooder lamp and thermometer, feeder and waterer. I have been doing lots of research since getting the chick and i am assuming the chick is at least a week old because she has developed some wing feathers already. I am also assuming she has been eating and drinking well since she is at the least a week old although i have been giving her some water with a syringe here and there just in case. It is possible that this chick will survive. I have hope that she will!
This is amazing post progress

I recently got an ISA Brown pullet who was hatched without eyes. I have never had or raised chickens before but am very interested and willing to learn because i have hope of raising this chick to live a long happy life. I have a set up for her with a brooder lamp and thermometer, feeder and waterer. I have been doing lots of research since getting the chick and i am assuming the chick is at least a week old because she has developed some wing feathers already. I am also assuming she has been eating and drinking well since she is at the least a week old although i have been giving her some water with a syringe here and there just in case. It is possible that this chick will survive. I have hope that she will!
This is amazing! post progress

I had a partially blinded chicken some years ago. She could still see but as far as we could tell, just not really make out any details.
I can't say if your chick will make it but I can give one small piece of advice. Do Not let her near your other hens. They will bully and eventually kill her. It's not their fault, please don't be mad at them, it's just hard-wired instinct that tells them to cull damaged members from the flock for the safety and health of the flock, but I had to keep little Itsy separate for the rest of her life for her health and safety. She was adorable and made a wonderful pet, used to ride around on my shoulder clucking and crooning to me. She just couldn't be with other chickens.

I raised a blind hen, and she lived for 8 years. As she got older, she was able to join my flock and did very well. She always ran straight to me whenever I called her name. She was one of the sweetest birds I ever had. I did help her onto the roost every night, but otherwise she was able to find the feeder and water (just always keep it in the same place). She did great outside foraging with everyone else, and brought much joy to my family. Whenever I had a treat for her, I just touched my hand to her beak, and she would immediately start pecking away at the treat in my hand. If you give your chick a little extra love and attention, I think she will do just fine.

I incubated a bunch of eggs last April and hatched 7 chicks. Shortly after I noticed one of the chicks behaving oddly and soon figured out that he was blind. His name is Cia and is a healthy and robust rooster. I did build a small coop addition and housed him with a single hen so that the other rooster would not bully him. He amazingly did not require any special attention or care. He finds his water and feed even if it has on occasion been moved. One circumstance to note is that he does not mate with his partner although I did notice him mounting his water bowl once. This doesn't mean his does not mount his hen, just that I have not observed that yet. He is calm and amenable to being held and has by all accounts a happy life.

I incubated a bunch of eggs last April and hatched 7 chicks. Shortly after I noticed one of the chicks behaving oddly and soon figured out that he was blind. His name is Cia and is a healthy and robust rooster. I did build a small coop addition and housed him with a single hen so that the other rooster would not bully him. He amazingly did not require any special attention or care. He finds his water and feed even if it has on occasion been moved. One circumstance to note is that he does not mate with his partner although I did notice him mounting his water bowl once. This doesn't mean his does not mount his hen, just that I have not observed that yet. He is calm and amenable to being held and has by all accounts a happy life.
Wouldn’t you believe! Just after I wrote this post I went out to check on the kids and… there was Cia mounting and mating her hen. What a joy. Now his life and his hen’s lives are complete.

Back
Top Bottom