Baby chick help

Lhasken

Hatching
Feb 23, 2019
We purchased a home with land last year and are looking to add chickens to our family! We have the coop to be put together. It has nesting boxes that are ventilated and able to be closed up. The main issue I cant seem to find an answer on is the brooder period. We really have no where "safe" in our home or garage to keep a brooder of chicks between the dogs, cat, and a rambunctious toddler. What other options do I have? In the coop with a heat lamp? Nesting box part of coop with heat lamp? I live in Ohio where we recently have been in the 40's but will get to low 30's high 20's. Help please I'm ready to bring my babies home!

Keep them in the coop with atleast 1 or 2 heat lamps to keep them warm and that should be fine for them.

I would be careful of a heat lamp in a chicken house, it has burned down a lot of coops. It might be best to wait at least until it gets to be late March or April. These are your first chicks and they can be tricky.

How many are you planning to get? I do keep mine in the garage for a week, and then get them out to the coop, but I have been doing this for years. And a storm or something, I would wait. I keep mine in a tote, the biggest one I can get, about 6 per tote. A heat lamp on one end, and a at night, a wooly hen. No light.

Later I take that tote, and lay it on its side, a natural wind break, and with the wooly hen, a place to warm up. The chicks are used to it, and feel secure there, and eventually venture forth on their terms.

A bunch of dead chicks is not fun. A coop fire is not fun. Patience is a virtue.

Mrs K

Sounds like you should buy older birds and not chicks, at least for this year. Try to find started chicks that are 3-4 months old or mature hens that are already laying.

I would be careful of a heat lamp in a chicken house, it has burned down a lot of coops. It might be best to wait at least until it gets to be late March or April. These are your first chicks and they can be trick
How many are you planning to get? I do keep mine in the garage for a week, and then get them out to the coop, but I have been doing this for years. And a storm or something, I would wait. I keep mine in a tote, the biggest one I can get, about 6 per tote. A heat lamp on one end, and a at night, a wooly hen. No light.

Later I take that tote, and lay it on its side, a natural wind break, and with the wooly hen, a place to warm up. The chicks are used to it, and feel secure there, and eventually venture forth on their terms.

A bunch of dead chicks is not fun. A coop fire is not fun. Patience is a virtue.

Mrs K

I plan to get 6-8. I guess I can try and barricade their tote from the dogs in the garage. And no light at night? I read they need the warmth 24hrs at first

Sounds like you should buy older birds and not chicks, at least for this year. Try to find started chicks that are 3-4 months old or mature hens that are already laying.
I am thinking this may be my best option. I just wanted to start from beginning. I do have a "guest room" I could put them in. The hubby is worried about a smell but if I keep it clean that shouldn't be a huge problem would it

Buy a dog crate for the chicks to keep the dogs/cat/kid out. Line it with ply or cardboard. Only needs to last 3/4 weeks. I had 5 week old chicks outside in polar vortex this winter. They are hardy and will be just fine.

I plan to get 6-8. I guess I can try and barricade their tote from the dogs in the garage. And no light at night? I read they need the warmth 24hrs at first
Yes they need warmth 24/7. They don't need light.
Invest in a ceramic bulb. They emit heat only. No light.
Can you expand on the type of coop you have?

They do need warmth 24 hours at first I live my chicks in the brooder with a heat lamp on for two weeks or in the chicken coop with the heat lamp is fine I have a nursery room in the chicken coop that constantly has a heat lamp or two on because I always have baby chicks and I have never had a fire in the coop should be fine if it is secure so they can’t get out and there’s a heat lamp for them to huddle under

Yes they need warmth 24/7. They don't need light.
Invest in a ceramic bulb. They emit heat only. No light.
Can you expand on the type of coop you have?

I attached a picture of the coop

Attachments

• 20190220_232415.jpg
    20190220_232415.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom